Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having 2nd thoughts on ordering 21" wheels for P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still very bullish on Tesla even after I posted the picture of the window sticker range.

However, I'm less bullish on my choice of 21" tires. Given the reduced range, what's the real benefits of the 21" tires? Cornering? By how much?

Short answer is they look cool. They have more grip but that's largely a factor of the summer compound tire. You can replace the all season tires on the 19" rims with summer tires too if that is important to you.

Still very bullish on Tesla even after I posted the picture of the window sticker range.

However, I'm less bullish on my choice of 21" tires. Given the reduced range, what's the real benefits of the 21" tires? Cornering? By how much?

I had 21" on my P85 and changed the wheels for 19" as where I live, roads are really bad. So I ordered my P85D with 19". For me, the only negative is the look. For the rest, I prefer the 19". Also, I like the fact I can rotate tires (maybe less necessary with dual motors).

The real advantage is looks. I've had enough luxury cars with big wheels to opt for the 19s even though I prefer the looks of the 21s. My last range rover suffered from PITA big wheels. Looked great sitting still, rode rough and too fragile.

Only advantage of 21" wheels is appearance IF you think they look better. I do not think they look better, think tires that look like a rubber band wrapped around a rim are silly, and am very happy with the 19" wheels which are less costly, 19" tires are less costly, car rides better on 19's, 19" tires are less susceptible to damage and blowouts, all positives for 19's.

So, personal preference when it comes to the aesthetics, but 19's have many real world advantages over 21's.

Only advantage of 21" wheels is appearance IF you think they look better. I do not think they look better, think tires that look like a rubber band wrapped around a rim are silly, and am very happy with the 19" wheels which are less costly, 19" tires are less costly, car rides better on 19's, 19" tires are less susceptible to damage and blowouts, all positives for 19's.

So, personal preference when it comes to the aesthetics, but 19's have many real world advantages over 21's.

100% agreed. And now that we have preliminary EPA ranges from Tesla, you can add "better range" to the list of 19" advantages :)

21"s look great (to certain age groups of the car world) as earlier stated.
Chip Foose and other customizers have made the stance of cars very important and
the D +2 or D +3 wheel and lowered springs are a big component of that design school.
They really fill up the wheel wells. They can be a bit more fragile if your roads have pot holes.
I was on a first name basis with a local CT wheel restorer repair shop when I had large wheels on my Lexus SC300 stage 3.
In addition, the thin walled tires often times are not repairable depending on their speed rating.
I once had a flat on one of my rear thin walled tires, and did not know it as the wall was so stiff
that on smooth roads at low speed it felt fine. High speed changed that feeling quickly.

The S is not a light and twitchy sports car, it is rather heavy (2 tons +).
21" wheels on a light car make for quick neck and head snaps and a lot of lateral movement.
I have not heard of this complaint with the P85 or P85+ from owners on this forum.
For practicality, you can feel a bit safer with the 19" wheels and also the ride will feel a bit more comfortable.
The extra width of the sidewalls will soften the ride in turns and bumps. It gives and acts like a shock absorber somewhat.
In addition the flex of the sidewalls will help protect 19" the wheel from cracking should it encounter a divot.

There are some wheels which are made from forged stock. These are the hardest and most durable IMHO.
They are also the most expensive.

Lastly, if you are not the "Johnny On The Spot" type of fanatical clean freak, then
DIRTY 21" wheels just look bad to many car guys (ahem... as will dirty 19"s) They will not say anything to you
but will hold you in low esteem. For that reason, the darker 21" wheels are now in
vogue and are much more practical. Brake dust being what it is...

Last edited:

^^^^ This. No advantages and the make it appear the car is owned by a teenager.

Mid ground....
Blow off the $4,500/$5,500 Tesla 21s and go for a nice set of 20" rims of your choice with (much better) Pilot Super Sport rubber. I'm getting TSWs and should come out around $3K all in for a much better performing combination (weight, susceptibility to damage, grip, wear).

Now if you really like the stock Tesla 21" look, there is always this-
The Tire Rack and Axis wheels bring you the new Model MS in 21 !!
combined with Pilot Super Sports for a fraction of the cost. Get a spare wheel and tire while you are at it just in case you damage one and you'll still be under Tesla's number. One word of caution with The Tire Rack. They have yet to figure out the new MS comes with new tire pressure sensors ($200 a set directly from your local Tesla service center).

Mid ground....
Blow off the $4,500/$5,500 Tesla 21s and go for a nice set of 20" rims of your choice with (much better) Pilot Super Sport rubber. I'm getting TSWs and should come out around $3K all in for a much better performing combination (weight, susceptibility to damage, grip, wear).

That's probably the worst part about it, IMO. You could almost fund an extra set, by spending $4,500 more carefully. For instance, I hesitate to push newly treaded tires too hard, and have noticed greater scalloping when I do. Maybe Pilots wouldn't do it, but to have some tires you aren't as bashful with is another argument for an extra set of 19's, 20's, etc.

Pics of the 20" TSW's please! That might be the sweet spot for MS wheel sizes, and it probably should be the base wheel size.

From personal observation/subjective evaluation, the 19" wheel is simply far too small for the MS, leading to what I feel is inadequate braking and acceleration with the Michelin tires, IMHO. (I've never driven on the Goodyear 19" tire.)

Our first MS had the 21" Continentals and I was stunned by the braking and acceleration limits imposed by the 19" Michelin tires on both MS#2 and various service loaners.

Thus, it's not just appearance (although the 19" wheels look way too small for the MS to my eye), but also performance, that differentiates the 21" wheels.

See this for excellent data points on the various advantages/disadvantages of upsized wheels/tires:

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Good Point!

I just got in my TSW Nurburgrings and they are drop dead gorgeous :) :)
Matte Bronze Awesome quality for $320 each just under 25lbs (versus 31 for Tesla 21s) for the 20" X 9"