Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV'd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually a while back I did see that a forum member posted a picture of his Model S at a gas station! I think he was just there for a short time, to get some food. What would be really interesting is to see someone actually charging at a gas station from a free outlet (preauthorized by the management of the station, of course). I bet there are some gas stations with friendly managers who would allow that, especially if the EV owner offers to pay a small fee for the convenience.

I think it would be a good idea for gas stations to install chargers. They probably already have sufficient electrical service and have other amenities such as food and rest rooms. It would seem to be a natural extension of their business... unless, of course, they have their heads firmly stuck in the sand of denial. The fossil fuel powers might also prohibit this to try to retard the spread of EVs.

I have to admit that I have pulled into a gas station and there was not a free spot to park and I wanted a hot chocolate. It was a huge gas station (Primm nevada) and there were a ton of gas pump spots open. I even had someone comment that my car was beautiful! I personally don't think anyone caught it was an EV! LOL So - yes, I have EV'd the ICERS!

What I wanna see is something I call a "Quick and EV" -- think an AMPM Mini Mart Gas Station except with SuperChargers or L2/DC Fast Charge chargers instead of gas pumps. We'll know EV's are here to stay when all along the interstates there are Quick and EVs, some even with mini Subways and Pizza Huts and Starbucks inside, while outside they only charge electric cars. Any VCs out there wanna fund the "Quick and EV" chain? Billion-dollar empire just itchin' to get started.

I think it would be a good idea for gas stations to install chargers. They probably already have sufficient electrical service and have other amenities such as food and rest rooms. It would seem to be a natural extension of their business... unless, of course, they have their heads firmly stuck in the sand of denial. The fossil fuel powers might also prohibit this to try to retard the spread of EVs.

In my country, the biggest gas stations company is already installing up to 22kW (3 phase * 32A) AC charging stations on their gas stations and in 2015, the same gas stations company and the 2nd largest one, will cover the entire country's highway network with Combo Quick charging stations (CHADEMO(50kW) & CCS(50kW) & 43kW(3 phase * 64A) AC Type2 Mennekes) at every 50km on both sides of the highway. They will install them on their gas stations along the highways. Combo charging station will be able to charge two EVs at once, at which the power will be split between two of them.

The project will be partially funded by the EU.

In my country, the biggest gas stations company is already installing up to 22kW (3 phase * 32A) AC charging stations on their gas stations and in 2015, the same gas stations company and the 2nd largest one, will cover the entire country's highway network with Combo Quick charging stations (CHADEMO(50kW) & CCS(50kW) & 43kW(3 phase * 64A) AC Type2 Mennekes) at every 50km on both sides of the highway. They will install them on their gas stations along the highways. Combo charging station will be able to charge two EVs at once, at which the power will be split between two of them.

The project will be partially funded by the EU.

Great news. Thanks for sharing with us.

I look forward to the day that similar services are available in the US, many years after these plans have been implemented in the EU.

GSP

One of the superchargers in CT is at a very small service plaza and the chargers are frequently ICE-d.
My strategy is to park in front of a gas pump while waiting for someone to move from a charging spot
but i haven't had to resort to this strategy yet.

I've parked at a gas pump in my MS and then purchased gas! Granted it was to fill a few a few gas cans in the trunk. :) Gas station attendant didn't even seem to notice the car while filling the gas cans (here in Oregon you can't pump your own gas so all stations have attendants). I've also taken my BBQ propane tank a few times to a station, but never actually parked in front of the gas pumps.

Ari, we did exactly that back in Sept of 2013...two Roadsters and a Model S "parked" (for about 30 seconds) at the pumps at a gas station in P.E.I. ...we didn't refer to the process as "EV'd" though...we used the tem "shocked" :wink:...was good for a laugh, but be had to scramble quickly to move the cars as a bunch of gassers drove in to refuel...