Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lugnuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the second time I have had the tesla lugnuts lose there shape and cannot get a socket to fit on them or the socket just spins around the lugnut
The first time last year tesla was rotating our tires and had to replace every single lugnut. Yesterday I had 2 tires replaced from the usual inside wear, and today went to check them and cannot get the socket on half of them to check the torque. Went to the tire shop and they agreed. They said for me to get some from tesla and they will reimburse me, but also mentioned the tesla lugnuts ahve a soft sleeve over them that is easily damaged and warped from applying the 129 ftlbs of torque.

Has anyone had this same thing happen? Have you found any that work and match the wheels ( silver turbine)? Or is the tire shop maybe using more than 129 ftlbs of torque? I have used them many times and didn't have this problem before.

Reactions: Skavatar
At least on my car with 19's, it takes a 21 mm socket. A six point impact socket fits fine in the recess in the wheel. Make sure you use a six point and not a 12 point socket. It's not English as a 13/16" socket is the closest fit but is too tight to get all the way on the nut.

Do NOT let anyone use an impact wrench on the Tesla lug nuts. It will distort the nuts and ruin them.

I recently helped a friend swap his winters on, and the idiot at (insert well-known tire chain here) who put his summers on had hammered them on so hard with an impact wrench that they had distorted. I had to use a 22 mm socket to get them off because the 21 mm would no longer fit. Judging by the force required to break them loose I'm pretty sure they were at 200 ft-lbs. The nuts are destroyed and he's going to have to get them replaced.

Here's the recommended procedure: break the nuts lose with a breaker bar. Then you can use an impact gun to spin them off. Once the wheels are swapped you can use the impact gun to spin the nuts on again, but do not let the gun hammer them on. Use a proper torque wrench set to 129 ft-lbs to finish the job, and be sure to use a "star pattern" to tighten them.

Reactions: Skavatar
Do NOT let anyone use an impact wrench on the Tesla lug nuts. It will distort the nuts and ruin them.

I recently helped a friend swap his winters on, and the idiot at (insert well-known tire chain here) who put his summers on had hammered them on so hard with an impact wrench that they had distorted. I had to use a 22 mm socket to get them off because the 21 mm would no longer fit. Judging by the force required to break them loose I'm pretty sure they were at 200 ft-lbs. The nuts are destroyed and he's going to have to get them replaced.

Here's the recommended procedure: break the nuts lose with a breaker bar. Then you can use an impact gun to spin them off. Once the wheels are swapped you can use the impact gun to spin the nuts on again, but do not let the gun hammer them on. Use a proper torque wrench set to 129 ft-lbs to finish the job, and be sure to use a "star pattern" to tighten them.

+1

E X A C T L Y, and *ONLY* use a 21mm 6-pt

To be extra careful (probably more care than needed), I torque the lug nuts to 100 ft-lb all around, then to a final tightening to 129 ft-lb in the classic star sequence.

And of course, I only use a 6-point, 21mm socket with hand breaker bar and torque wrench.

Last edited:
I had one deformed by an impact wrench. I had to remove it manually with a 22 mm socket. My fault. To loosen, I do it now with a 4-way wrench and then use the impact wrench for rapid removal. Hand tighten with the 4-way then finally with the torque wrench.

Little scuffs don't bother me since I use the OEM caps to match the darker color of my wheels.

21 mm OEM.
19 mm Rial Lugano nuts.