Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if Tesla added a paid HPWC spot to its SC stations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a (potentially stupid) idea (or not).
What if Tesla added a paid regular level 3 charging sport to most of its supercharger stations ?
Why ? Its a great way to add even more water to the mouths of LEAF / Volt / ... owners.
It would be free publicity to those most likely to buy a Gen III Tesla, and perhaps some that might have the dough to get a Model S/X but don't believe in it. As they charge near Tesla owners, they will get the vibe...
Plus it would add an extra revenue stream to Tesla.
Just saying...

Here's a (potentially stupid) idea (or not).
What if Tesla added a paid regular level 3 charging sport to most of its supercharger stations ?
Why ? Its a great way to add even more water to the mouths of LEAF / Volt / ... owners.
It would be free publicity to those most likely to buy a Gen III Tesla, and perhaps some that might have the dough to get a Model S/X but don't believe in it. As they charge near Tesla owners, they will get the vibe...
Plus it would add an extra revenue stream to Tesla.
Just saying...

I assume you meant Level 2 (which is what the HPWC is). Roadster owners have been asking for this since before the first supercharger went online. At many sites it doesn't make sense because parking spaces are at a premium. You would be giving up a supercharging spot for a space where cars would be parked longer and ultimately wouldn't help Tesla owners.

The HPWC can only charge a Model S. You would need a charger with a J1772 plug for the LEAF, Volt et al.
Maybe not those cars but the Roadster community is much more resourceful. I charge my Roadster routinely from Model S HPWCs and UMCs.:smile:

I mean the highest power charger that can charge a LEAF, Volt and other non Tesla vehicles.
Combine that with better publicity that Tesla has offered other EV makers shared access to the SC network (provided they contribute accordingly) it could generate consumer pressure towards Nissan, GM and others joining the SC revolution.
Sorry for the mistake, I don't own an EV, they are just too damn expensive in Brazil (even for upper middle class families). A LEAF here costs US$ 85k ! A US$ 100k Tesla here would cost US$ 220k ! Sky high car import taxes.

I mean the highest power charger that can charge a LEAF, Volt and other non Tesla vehicles...

The highest power is different for all those vehicles you mentioned, and it also depends on whether it's Level 2 (240v AC) or Level 3 (DC). Level 2 ranges from 16A to 80A AC for non-Model S vehicles. Like apacheguy said, Tesla doesn't need any more publicity in the EV community.

Tesla doesn't need any more publicity in the EV community.

+1

If you already own another electric car, you bought it because (a) you couldn't afford a Tesla Model S / Roadster or (b) you needed a city oriented car.
For me, it was (b) for my little Smart ED, which is perfect for my short commute on the back streets/lanes I travel on.

I severely regret buying our Mercedes GLK a few years ago, as it would have been a good down payment on a Model S...

As for charging, I feel that L2 AC charging is not very useful, but even offering DCQC for Leaf or BMW i3 standards at the same sight would not be an advantage, as those vehicles cannot drive far enough to get to the next supercharger location!

Personally, the availability of tens of thousands of L2 AC charge points only cements in the short range EV's we have today. Only Tesla is thinking of the grander road trip strategy.