Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Roadster key use a transponder, & is fob using standard programmable frequencies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
2011 Roadster Base Model.

I like the idea of a folding key fob, but I would need to have a folding fob that functioned as a transponder as well.

Does the key have a transponder? If so, where is it hidden?

Does the Tesla Roadster key fob use standard frequency and signals for me to program a generic folding fob into opening my doors, locking car, and opening trunk, etc...

[EDIT] Any company that makes a key with the same or similar ridge pattern as a Tesla Roadster key?

TIA,

TOBASH

There is a receiver for the remote under the dash behind the instrument cluster. A low cost option could be to get a folding key and then remove key part from the Roadster remote. If you remove the little screw for the battery then inside the key you will see the key part is attached with two more little screws.

But is the receiver using a standard signal that corresponds to a fold ing key fob already in production?

[EDIT] and is there a transponder in the key? How is it the car recognizes a valet key from the regular key? Is there a difference?

Last edited:
I think I'd rather not tell people how easy it would be to steal a roadster. Especially since someone posted a picture of their key in another thread, and that might be all you need to duplicate a key and steal a car.

Except you also need the transponder or the security PIN code, as noted in that other thread. The key itself would get you nothing, unless you leave your Roadster unlocked.

Last edited:
There is no transponder in the key. The extra key (not really a valet key) will open the car and turn the ignition, but you still need the PIN to start it if the alarm is active.

The alarm in the 1.5 is an Omega Research unit. The 2.0 an 2.5 are PFK Auto Watch 457 units. They are available with fobs.

Last edited:
BUT my other question is... Is the key fob using a standard code that is also used by a company that currently makes a folding key? Can I program that fob to open my Roadster? I want to make a folding key fob.

Thanks
Key fob frequencies are unique, or as close to unique as possible. The problem isn't finding a compatible key fob. The problem is figuring out how to sync the new fob with the car.