Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Commands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
I was playing around with the "talk" button on the steering wheel today and I noticed at if it was held down it wanted to record my voice. Does anyone have any idea about what this is all about? I know there are voice commands on the car but I can find nothing in the manual.

I was playing around with the "talk" button on the steering wheel today and I noticed at if it was held down it wanted to record my voice. Does anyone have any idea about what this is all about? I know there are voice commands on the car but I can find nothing in the manual.

Your DS didn't explain to you? Mine also didn't, but she'sa temporary sub for Fiona

Hmmm. I tried that and it said my voice was unclear...:/

On voice command, I've tried (with vc button pressed and pronounce as naturally as you could):

- Play "xxx" (xxx being artist, album, song, etc. names or a combination. Say "play rolling stones paint it black" a mouthful but it works first time I tried!) - this activates online music search
- Call "xxx" (xxx being a name from your phone's contact list, you need your phone to be Bluetooth paired to the car) - this activates a phone call
- Go "xxx" (xxx being a location or address) - but don't think this works without sat nav in hk yet

I tried English, Cantonese, Mandarin in calling up voice command, they all work! I'd say the car's OS has 80-90% accuracy with my voice. Have fun,

On voice command, I've tried (with vc button pressed and pronounce as naturally as you could):

- Play "xxx" (xxx being artist, album, song, etc. names or a combination. Say "play rolling stones paint it black" a mouthful but it works first time I tried!) - this activates online music search
- Call "xxx" (xxx being a name from your phone's contact list, you need your phone to be Bluetooth paired to the car) - this activates a phone call
- Go "xxx" (xxx being a location or address) - but don't think this works without sat nav in hk yet

I tried English, Cantonese, Mandarin in calling up voice command, they all work! I'd say the car's OS has 80-90% accuracy with my voice. Have fun,

Do you have to translate the command word into Cantonese/Mandarin as well?

I am looking forward to when you can control the car this way, ie "open sunroof", "Resume Cruise Control", "overtake Porsche Cayenne" and so on. The last one for those with autopilot enabled.

Lerxt, I think it understands English, Cantonese and Mandarin, not sure about Australian though :rolleyes:

Took my car to get some items corrected today and they said that the Voice Commands don't work ( works rarely) because of a software bug. The same goes for parking sensor anomalies. There is supposedly a software update coming for these items which includes the navigation software next year.

I am really looking forward to when you can control things like pano roof, regen and other car functions from voice commands. I don't care about "Play this song" or "call this person" as I don't think it will find the right person anyway with my thousands of contacts. I have tens of Peters, Mikes and so on, no use. I wish the phone function had a favourites list, though.

Took my car to get some items corrected today and they said that the Voice Commands don't work ( works rarely) because of a software bug. The same goes for parking sensor anomalies. There is supposedly a software update coming for these items which includes the navigation software next year.

The front parking senors behaved weirdly when the front is clear or a truck exhausting in front of me, normally it's the left hand one but sometimes both. It doesn't bother me much perhaps will ask them to check next time I go into service. I'm sure there'll be other service needs.

I have the same 2 problems so it looks like a widespread spread issue with after Nov deliveries;

1. Voice commands very rarely work, using "Listen to...." works best
2. Park sensors especially front left one frequently sets off when slowing down / in traffic. Never at higher cruising speeds.

Hope both are fixed with a software update soon.