Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster key problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Timothy

Driving on Sunshine
May 4, 2011
My key had poked a hole in the pocket of my third suit! On our FIAT 500e the metal part of the key bends into the handle so the pointed part is covered when in your pocket and only comes out when you push a button on it. Any solution for the big key on the Roadster? I have a leather case for my house and office keys, and have now started jamming the point of the Roadster key in to it before dropping it into my pocket.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or found a solution?

You could pull the Roadster copper key out and make a custom flip mount for it, then have the door fob as a separate dangling entity like a typical fob system off the keychain. Just have to make sure your flip mounting system can take the stresses of the Roadster key on/off turn. It has some good pressure to it. I never had an issue with mine so no need to modify.

Possibly you could move the guts of the Roadster keyfob to one of these flip key fobs. Well you get my idea:

flip key | eBay

DIY how to using a Honda Key:
DIY: Flip Key with Lots of Pictures!!! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Last edited:
My Roadster came with 4 keys - two with fobs and two without: I always assumed that's how they all came. Is this not the case? (It's 3/4 inch shorter)

Is the glovebox lockable on the 2.x? From what I understand the glovebox only locks when the car is put into Valet Mode and appears to have no keylock.

The 1.5 Roadsters don't have the box and came with 2 keys both with a FOB attached.

Last edited:
In the pics looks like the copper key is the same length on both, the keyed patterns on both keys appear to be identical so they have the same function. Difference is one set has the fob electronics where the other one is bare. So it just looks like an inexpensive emergency backup set.

Possibly the second owner (since its a CPO) had a lock company or some non-Tesla supplier make an extra set. I don't see any Tesla markings on the bare set of keys.

My Roadster came with 4 keys - two with fobs and two without:View attachment 65389 I always assumed that's how they all came. Is this not the case? (It's 3/4 inch shorter)

In Canada the fob is required in order to start the car.

A key without fob would only unlock the trunk, and I guess the driver's door too (emergency lock). Might set off the alarm, though.

In Canada the fob is required in order to start the car.

A key without fob would only unlock the trunk, and I guess the driver's door too (emergency lock). Might set off the alarm, though.

It sets off the alarm. Found out the hard way when the electronics in one of my key fobs died and I had to unlock that way. You can turn off the alarm semi-immediately though by sticking the fob-less key in the ignition and turning, but the car still will not "start" until you key in your pin code into the touchscreen.

Makes sense for USA Roadsters. In Canada it won't start without the fob (we have an immobilzer regulation) and entering the PIN will not work. (We do have a valet mode that reduces power... one of the very few things the PIN is good for).

You could pull the Roadster copper key out and make a custom flip mount for it, then have the door fob as a separate dangling entity like a typical fob system off the keychain. Just have to make sure your flip mounting system can take the stresses of the Roadster key on/off turn. It has some good pressure to it. I never had an issue with mine so no need to modify.

Possibly you could move the guts of the Roadster keyfob to one of these flip key fobs. Well you get my idea:

flip key | eBay

DIY how to using a Honda Key:
DIY: Flip Key with Lots of Pictures!!! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Great idea. I am just afraid of screwing the key and remote up so I will chicken out. The idea of a rubber tube (condom!) certainly would work. I have taken to stuffing the time of the key into the key holder for my other keys. Not very elegant, but it seems to work.
Key for Tesla (6).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

That is to say stuffing the 'tip' of my key.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea. I am just afraid of screwing the key and remote up so I will chicken out. The idea of a rubber tube (condom!) certainly would work. I have taken to stuffing the time of the key into the key holder for my other keys. Not very elegant, but it seems to work.

- - - Updated - - -

My STRONG suggestion is to remove those pictures of your keys ASAP.

ANYONE can counterfeit your keys now and break into your house.

I would re-tool your house locks to accept new keys.

You should NEVER post images of keys! It is like posting all you bank account information. A thief can now make perfect keys.

MODS, please delete these pictures for the safety of the poster.

Best,

T

It looks to me if you button that leather key keeper that the Tesla key would slide right in there and that'd prevent any holes in your pockets.... Problem solved.

If that doesn't work, punch 2 or 4 holes in your key keeper, then run one or two leather laces through the holes (one leather lace per 2 holes). Next slide the Tesla key through the holes, ensure the leather lace is tight enough to grip the key but not allow the pointy end to poke out.

(Deleted, posted in error, sorry)

If you "edit" your post, there's a delete "radio button" and a delete key that will remove your post.