Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low vin upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a 3*** VIN car today and was wondering if anyone knew either or not Tesla has an updated rotor replacement?....the brakes feel so weak compared to higher VIN cars I have driven and the back up camera blows.

I will ask the SC next week but just curious if any one has any voluntary upgraded.

The brakes feel "weak" because early cars used a vacuum booster system, and the recent Teslas use an electromechanical braking system.

The early brakes aren't actually weak, the mapping is just "softer". Those Brembos still stop the car mighty quick.

The back-up camera blows? It was probably just dirty.

100 percent correct i am very glad tell moved forward with the electromechanical set up , it simply makes more sense considering how interconnected the vehicle is, Minimal Latency
The brakes feel "weak" because early cars used a vacuum booster system, and the recent Teslas use an electromechanical braking system.

The early brakes aren't actually weak, the mapping is just "softer". Those Brembos still stop the car mighty quick.

Thanks Todd!.

I think I got really spoiled with the two months I was in a brand new 2014 P85. The brakes were quicker to stop and yes the camera on new cars is so much clearer. I will ask if I can pay to upgrade it.

Thanks Todd!.

I think I got really spoiled with the two months I was in a brand new 2014 P85. The brakes were quicker to stop and yes the camera on new cars is so much clearer. I will ask if I can pay to upgrade it.

Do you have the tech package on your 3xxx? If I remember correctly, the back-up camera resolution was better in earlier cars with the tech package.

Do you have the tech package on your 3xxx? If I remember correctly, the back-up camera resolution was better in earlier cars with the tech package.

I also thought the early vin tech package included a higher-def. back-up camera. WRT to the brakes, rarely use 'em. Might the SC flush/bleed your brakes to help give you back a firmer "high-pedal" (german SC's perform this service with regularity).

I also thought the early vin tech package included a higher-def. back-up camera. WRT to the brakes, rarely use 'em. Might the SC flush/bleed your brakes to help give you back a firmer "high-pedal" (german SC's perform this service with regularity).

yeah I am having the 2nd annual service done since the 1st one wasn't done and that is included.....I am sure the pads need to be replaced as well. I am hoping that does the trick coz now my brakes suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

- - - Updated - - -

At least low VINs got the cupholder cinchers!

That is so funny that you brought that up, those cinchers are awesome. Not sure why they removed them, the work great!

- - - Updated - - -

As for the camera, I did clean it but the newer ones are better. It shouldn't cost that much to swap it out?

Last edited:
My Sig car's (#2006) backup camera was very crisp at first, but then for some reason got rather blurry. I complained about it and they replaced the camera, and it is nice and crisp again.

Not sure why a camera would go out of focus; the separation between the lens and the CMOS sensor must have changed somehow.

My Sig car's (#2006) backup camera was very crisp at first, but then for some reason got rather blurry. I complained about it and they replaced the camera, and it is nice and crisp again.

Not sure why a camera would go out of focus; the separation between the lens and the CMOS sensor must have changed somehow.

That's exactly what mine is doing, it looks like it has a constant haze. I will bring it up to Tesla when they do my service.

They were removed because folks complained that they punctured styrofoam coffee cups.

I'm sure there's more folks complaining about their loose cups now flying into the center console screen splashing it with coffee or chipping it or worse cracking it. Personally I'd rather have a styrofoam cup split than my center console screen cracked. No idea what genius at Tesla made that decision to remove them. Perhaps a number cruncher thought they could get a revenue stream from cracked screen replacements?

I'm sure there's more folks complaining about their loose cups now flying into the center console screen splashing it with coffee or chipping it or worse cracking it. Personally I'd rather have a styrofoam cup split than my center console screen cracked. No idea what genius at Tesla made that decision to remove them. Perhaps a number cruncher thought they could get a revenue stream from cracked screen replacements?

I have a large Starbucks cold cup and it does not move with those clinchers. I am glad I have them.