Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain in Northern California (finally)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
It's been pouring off and on for the last several days - this morning I was out dealing with downed trees / tree limbs and heard a weird thrashing coming from the creek in front of the house. Huge salmon! So morning priorities were promptly reset while I watched it for over an hour work at getting back through the culvert and swim upstream (finally succeeded).

Lots of flooding (house is on the highest point, so never a worry):

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty fishy (pretty sure salmon season is over anyway, at least it is here)
nice water! Humboldt is damp but not that wet!

Is that little bridge between the house and the greenhouse? or other side of the house.

That little bridge is new - it's between the rocks on the back deck and the area to the west of the greenhouse. I just put it in and luckily picked what turned out to be the highest point! I'm having trouble uploading pics all of a sudden, but when I do, I'll show you why I put a little bridge in :). You'll approve, I think.

Update - Here you go, Z. The little bridge in relation to the house:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 4.11.20 PM.png

Last edited:
There was one of those Caltrans type big LED temporary road-signs along Middefield road near me which had said something like "slow for construction", but a couple weeks back someone changed it to "Make it rain!" Not sure if it was the road crew, or someone hacking into it as a joke, but it seems to have worked!
(Or was that some sort of sports reference?)

That's a nice little piece of paradise you have there Bonnie. How far away was that salmon from the mouth of the ocean and is there is a hatchery program that releases fingerlings into that creek or is that a wild fish? It looks like a male Pink to me (by its humped back), and he's coming home to fertilize eggs (you can tell he's a male by his snout) but unless there's a female around laying eggs, none of his offspring will make it back down to the ocean to return in 4 years. That certainly would be great for future generations. Only a few generations ago that little creek would have been solid red with spawning salmon in Oct/Nov and you could cross it on their backs (not that that's recommended). We still have that in some rivers in BC and there's hope for others even right in Vancouver where creeks are being revitilized and salmon are returing. He wouldn't be good eating though since he is spent -- his flesh would be mushy and not very good (not that you'd eat him!). He waited for those rains out at the mouth of that creek in the ocean and that's why he's late.

That's a nice little piece of paradise you have there Bonnie. How far away was that salmon from the mouth of the ocean and is there is a hatchery program that releases fingerlings into that creek or is that a wild fish? It looks like a male Pink to me (by its humped back), and he's coming home to fertilize eggs (you can tell he's a male by his snout) but unless there's a female around laying eggs, none of his offspring will make it back down to the ocean to return in 4 years. That certainly would be great for future generations. Only a few generations ago that little creek would have been red with salmon in Oct/Nov and you could cross it on their backs (not that that's recommended). We still have that in some rivers in BC and there's hope for others even right in Vancouver where creeks are being revitilized and salmon are returing. He wouldn't be good eating though since he is spent -- his flesh would be mushy and not very good (not that you'd eat him!). He waited for those rains out at the mouth of that creek in the ocean and that's why he's late.

Definitely a wild fish. There are some known salmon habitats near here, my little creek has not been one (I think he was lost). Makes sense regarding needing the rains to make it up the waterways. We've been dry.

I'll let you guess how far he traveled. The marker is where I'm at ... scale is in the lower right corner.

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 8.18.20 PM.png

Folsom Lake is pretty close, veering towards the North Fork of the American River - lots and lots of little creeks and tributaries everywhere here. Secret Ravine (just over the hill from me) is a protected area for salmon, but I've never seen any there - though neighbors tell me stories of 'how it used to be'.

I walked down the creek this afternoon, hoping to see any others working their way upstream (we have a small dam, since we use the creek for irrigation in the summer). But nothing. Almost as exciting as when I found otters playing ... or the bear loading up on blackberries in late fall. (Dogs were excited over that.) I love living somewhere where I get new surprises.

Oh! And we've had a ring-necked pheasant wandering the neighborhood this last month. That's a new one. I thought I was back in Minnesota for a moment. None of the neighbors had seen one here before.

Careful with the dam. Its a lot better if possible to store the water underground or an off-stream "reservoir/lake/holding pond". Thats going to keep the salmon and other fish going upstream.

I can recommend the movie Damnation ... Home | DamNation

I walked down the creek this afternoon, hoping to see any others working their way upstream (we have a small dam, since we use the creek for irrigation in the summer).

The small dam has been there for probably more than 20 years, the salmon navigated it without a problem. You're assuming something that it is not. All it does is keep one area of the creek deep enough for irrigation pipes - with very little backup. It's not for water storage or acting as a holding pond.

The small dam has been there for probably more than 20 years, the salmon navigated it without a problem. You're assuming something that it is not. All it does is keep one area of the creek deep enough for irrigation pipes - with very little backup. It's not for water storage or acting as a holding pond.

In Australia we would call that a weir, not a dam. Is that word not in use here?
A weir /ˈwɪər/ is a barrier across a river designed to alter its flow characteristics.

I've never heard of the term weir, even after watching the movie Damnation, so I don't think we use that term here.

Here's the wikipedia definition

A weir /ˈwɪər/ is a barrier across a river designed to alter its flow characteristics. In most cases, weirs take the form of obstructions smaller than most conventional dams, pooling water behind them while also allowing it to flow steadily over their tops.

Humber_Weir.jpg

Risker at en.wikipedia [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], from Wikimedia Commons

Sorry for the messy photo attributions... not sure on easy way to get creative commons license photos attributed...

In Australia we would call that a weir, not a dam. Is that word not in use here?