Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with universal mobile charger for roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi bought roadster 2.5 used came with three chargers. I use the high capacity charger without problem. Just installed a 50 amp 240 outlet to use the mobile charger. The outlet tests at 250 volts. When plugged into the outlet no red light when test button pressed. When plugged into the car I get the usual blue light followed by a brief red the car is not charging. I have tried 40 amp rate and 32 amp without change. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? I don't have another outlet with that type of plug

had bought nema 6-50 connector and installed that outlet. They have been out of the 14-50 plugs for a while. It's hard to find another 6-50 outlet to try it on.

Does it switch to red when the car tries to start charging (it flashes blue and you hear the clicks like it's trying to charge and then it goes red and stops charging)?

Is the 6-50 properly grounded (ground pin needs to go to ground and not neutral - the 6-50 doesn't have a neutral pin) and have you verified you indeed have 2 phases of 120V? With a multimeter you get 240V across the hots and 120V from each hot to ground? Not denigrating your electrical skills, just covering the basics.

Does the car give you any kind of message on screen when it stops charging?

Does it switch to red when the car tries to start charging (it flashes blue and you hear the clicks like it's trying to charge and then it goes red and stops charging)?

Is the 6-50 properly grounded (ground pin needs to go to ground and not neutral - the 6-50 doesn't have a neutral pin) and have you verified you indeed have 2 phases of 120V? With a multimeter you get 240V across the hots and 120V from each hot to ground? Not denigrating your electrical skills, just covering the basics.

It is grounded and is 250 across hits and 124 each hot to ground. Didn't see code in car after trying to charge. Yes it does flash blue and click then brief red. Will on its own try again then brief red. It came with car but I never used it personally. Recently got the 6-50 adapter wonder if that could be issue?

- - - Updated - - -

It is grounded and is 250 across hits and 124 each hot to ground. Didn't see code in car after trying to charge. Yes it does flash blue and click then brief red. Will on its own try again then brief red. It came with car but I never used it personally. Recently got the 6-50 adapter wonder if that could be issue?

The UMCs are widely known to be problematic. My first one died a mysterious death with a flashing error code that no one was able to explain. My second one only works in cold weather or if I use a fan to cool the electronics module during charging. In troubleshooting my UMCs, I monitored my 50 amp circuit (NEMA 14-50 receptacle) and observed that all was well when I had 118v to 123v hot-to-ground. Anything outside that range and the car threw an error, lowered the current, and attempted a restart. It would ultimately end up at 20 amps and unable to charge until the voltage was in back in range. The car would charge on the spare cable fine even when the voltage was out of this range.

FWIW I've tested with a Clipper Creek HPC-40 in both cold and hot weather and it worked flawlessly.