Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Expense and Confort 16k Miles a Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into a used P85+, 10k miles for 82k seems like a good deal at a local dealer a couple of hours from here. The question is, I drive 16k miles or so per year and appreciate comfort and smooth riding, more so that sportier feel. I've never driven a sports tuned car before. Is the ride on the P85+ really that much louder and rougher than a P85?

Also, and what may be the bigger issue, how soon will I have to change tires if I'm driving 16k miles per year? This could be an extra expense not worth it for a daily driver.

Thanks!

The + is significantly firmer than a P but nowhere near that of something like an M5 or C63... more like an E63.

As for tires, alignment helps but I had to remove camber in the rear (search camber for threads) to get to 17.5K miles on my original PS2s (which I replaced with PSS).

The price you mention is in the right range. Tesla offered $68.5 for my 18K mile car while competing wholesale numbers were $79K.

I drove a p85+ wth 21" wheels (I have a P85 with 19's) I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference. If I were going to buy the car unless I had $$ to spend I'd probably put the 19's on it because you'll get more mileage out of the tires. But as far as ride, cornering etc I couldn't tell the difference between it and mine.

I drive my car as a commuter but have been known to push the car to its limits on the road just for enjoyment and when I drove the + I wanted to see if I could tell a difference. Other than it being a little louder inside I couldn't feel anything (note:I drove in sport mode)

Coming from a P85+ owner, i'd say save the extra money and get yourself a P85. There's really no need for the "extra handling characteristics". I'm in no way a professional, but in my experience from track days, I feel this car is best used for commuting and not made for the track. I've recently driven a standard 85 and felt that it was sufficient for what most people would use it for.

Other people might have different opinions, but if i had a chance to do it again, I would have just ordered the P85 with the 21inch. (maybe not even rims since i got aftermarket ones anyways.)

Thanks Guys, this shopping for the best deal thing in the used market was killing me, and my productivity. So I just bit the bullet and ordered a P85D, slept much better last night :) it's a February delivery so it'll be a long few months for sure!

Congrats, REBroker. You'll love it.
I have a P85+ and the air suspension. I believe it is a much better ride than coils. You will likely have the same set-up on your D.

Big thing is the staggered tire sizes. 245s front, 265s rear. So no tire rotation.

There is another thread promoting feedback to Michelin to make the PSS tires available in 265 so we can replace the PS2s with them.
Pilot Super Sports for the 21" staggered wheels Check it out.

Thanks Guys, this shopping for the best deal thing in the used market was killing me, and my productivity. So I just bit the bullet and ordered a P85D, slept much better last night :) it's a February delivery so it'll be a long few months for sure!

Is this the one you were looking at? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97210&endYear=2015&modelCode1=TESMODS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=TESLA&numRecords=100&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=85000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BTESLA%5BTESMODS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=388118409&Log=0

That price seemed far too low for a P+, now we know why.

Maybe, I almost bought this P85+....it's a beautiful car but it just didn't have a lot of options. They have had it for several months and really want to sell it.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97210&endYear=2015&modelCode1=TESMODS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=TESLA&numRecords=100&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BTESLA%5BTESMODS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=383571786&Log=0