Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird TPMS Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I need some help troubleshooting this. When had my tires powdercoated about a month ago, I got a new set of stock tires - Yokohama AD07's. Just today, I noticed via OMVS that the tire pressures were 40 psi all around. Since the recommended pressure is 30 psi front/40 psi back, I brought the pressure down in the fronts and saw the pressure drop via OVMS.

However, the VDS is not giving me any tire pressure info. I drove around a bit, saw the OVMS tire pressures bolded and active. When I was driving, I pressed the tires screen and it just listed the recommended pressures vs. the comfort settings. There was no active tire pressure info. I immediately pulled over, hit the info button, then tires, and I got the yellow outline of the car. The tires looked light blue against the dark blue screen background, but again no active tire pressure info or temperature info. I then started getting TPMS needs service messages that eventually went away with more driving.

So, it looks like I was driving around the past month with the new fronts inflated a bit too high, but I'm confused as to why I'm not getting tire pressure info on the VDS, but OVMS still seems to be giving me information.

Did the TPMS sensors need a reset with the new tires or it is possible the transmitter batteries are dying? I had one replaced under warranty a few months ago, but it would be odd if all 4 go at once.

Any ideas? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

I'm pretty certain that the TPMS won't give tire pressure on the VDS unless the car is parked and e-brake pulled. It is available however as you see OVMS gets this info. The diags screen also has it available. My guess is they don't want the driver distracted while driving hence why the car has to be stopped (I believe turned off) and e-brake pulled.

Well, the weirdness continues. Just went for a quick drive. Pulled over once I saw the OVMS tire pressures in bold, parked and pulled up the parking brake and still no data on the VDS. Here are pics/screenshots taken within seconds of each other.

I'll give it a shot again tomorrow, but this makes no sense to me.

OVMSTMPS12-4-2014.jpg

IMG_6923.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg

The symptoms you are showing clearly the show the superiority of the OVMS when compared to stock TPMS :smile:

It seems to be that the Tesla system is extremely conservative. It will show nothing until all four tires are reporting in perfectly, and that can only be after up to a few minutes of driving. Similarly, if you turn off the car, the Tesla screen won't show you anything.

OVMS works directly off what is being transmitted by the TPMS module in the car. As soon as any tire sends its data, it will be shown. If the car is turn off, the data will continue to show. OVMS will change to show in light gray colour if it hasn't received any data from the TPMS module for a while (to indicate that the data may be stale).

The core difference is that OVMS will show you the best it can, even partial data, and will show live data in bright white and old stale data in light gray. The VDS will only show you live data and only then when everything is working 100%.

My favourite display of OVMS TPMS is when you can see just the front tire pressures, no rear tire pressures, and you get an error message on the VDS saying TPMS needs service. OVMS is telling you that your rear TPMS antenna is broken.

I had a similar issue. My Roadster's rear TPMS antenna failed. The car's screen was completely unhelpful like this case, but OVMS reported the front tire information.
Bzzz... When the instruments go blank on any error, they are little better than a stupid 'something is wrong' light.

The symptoms you are showing clearly the show the superiority of the OVMS when compared to stock TPMS :smile:

It seems to be that the Tesla system is extremely conservative. It will show nothing until all four tires are reporting in perfectly, and that can only be after up to a few minutes of driving. Similarly, if you turn off the car, the Tesla screen won't show you anything.

OVMS works directly off what is being transmitted by the TPMS module in the car. As soon as any tire sends its data, it will be shown. If the car is turn off, the data will continue to show. OVMS will change to show in light gray colour if it hasn't received any data from the TPMS module for a while (to indicate that the data may be stale).

The core difference is that OVMS will show you the best it can, even partial data, and will show live data in bright white and old stale data in light gray. The VDS will only show you live data and only then when everything is working 100%.

My favourite display of OVMS TPMS is when you can see just the front tire pressures, no rear tire pressures, and you get an error message on the VDS saying TPMS needs service. OVMS is telling you that your rear TPMS antenna is broken.

I also have witnessed OVMS superiority.
I've been getting the TPMS error alarm on the VDS for a couple of month stating that 'something' is wrong with one of the tire pressure/sensor...so not much help from VDS.
On the other hand, OVMS clearly showed me that the front wheel driver side sensor was completely off temperature-wise compared to the other three! So easy diagnosis with OVMS! :)

Just a quick update. After intermittent TPMS Service Required messages since I first posted this, the error messages became constant the past 2 days. The local Tesla service center took a look and ended up replacing the two rear sensors. I had the front ones replaced about a year ago, too. Parts and labor were covered under my CPO warranty.

My car is a 2010 MY and looks like it was manufactured in 4/2009. Is 5-6 years the average lifespan of these things? I thought they could just replace the transmitter battery, but it looks like they replaced the whole sensors.

Anyway, glad the mystery is solved and I still have 22 months left on my warranty :)

Just a quick follow up - I started to get TPMS error messages again a couple days ago. SC replaced all 4 TPMS sensors under warranty earlier today. I can't believe the ones they replaced less than 5 months ago went bad - or maybe they were just being more thorough this time and replaced all 4 at once. This is actually my second set of new TPMS sensors and I've only owned the car for about 20 months. Sure am glad I have that CPO warranty, though.

1.5 Roadster question - when parked my car properly (it appears) tells me the tire pressure at each corner. Just today the Fault light came on the dash indicating service needed. Hoping it's just the battery (or plural) are starting to get weak. Note because of the dreadful rain and flooding around me the last many weeks, the car has not been driven much. Could that be related? Is there a way to check the TPMS battery status? Thanks in advance