Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Descending steep mountain roads at 30mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can regen alone keep speed under control (about 30mph) on twisting steep (7-10%) descents? I recently did a lot of mountain driving in my manual transmission car, and even 3rd gear wasn't enough for me to not touch the brakes.

Yes. A bunch of us drove up Mt. Washington in NH then came back down. I only hit my brakes three times on the descent, but others made it down without touching them at all. It was foggy and I kept losing the car in front. That's my excuse for having to tap the brakes three times.

Average grade over 8 miles is 11.9% and the max grade is 22%.

Absolutely. Do it all the time coming down off of Wolf Creek Pass, etc.

If you have over 80% battery, and do long, sustained, downhill regens, you can hit regen limits that are similar to Supercharger taper charging limits. It's an obscure limit, but I have had it happen with a full charge out of Pagosa heading east over Wolf Creek Pass, and leaving Aspen with a full charge, heading east over Independence Pass. This limit is not an issue for short, pulse regens, and only happens on long, sustained regens.

Enjoy!