Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in CA GULP any suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got our ins. from Allstate and the 1 year premium is double our Jaguar "F" type. It came out to about $1500 a year:scared:. Full coverage with 100/300 liability. Clean driving record. Lat ticket 8 years ago (speeding) and last accident (non charged) 15 years ago.

Does anyone have a suggestion of other carriers prices?

Thanks from S. Cal :)

Ouch, time for you to switch providers! Progressive here is very reasonable. Switching from a Prius to the Tesla Model S, my insurance went up about $15 monthly. I may need to adjust the coverage level, and don't expect the cost to go up more than $30 monthly.

If Progressive doesn't offer you a good rate, continue searching (e.g. GEICO, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, etc.).

I've had mine for about a month, and did a bunch of research ahead of time. I'm in Los Angeles, so prices here are higher than the rest of CA (30% higher than Orange county!). My yearly rate is above $1500 :-(, although I do have more coverage and umbrella as well through State Farm. I'm also young, so that jacks up my rate as well - although no tickets or claims.

The least expensive I found was Geico, followed by State Farm. I stuck with State Farm because after multi-policy discount, it came out to the same as Geico with similar coverage.

If you want 1 year new car replacement, check out the Costco insurance (I think its through Ameriprise?). It'll be just a little higher than State Farm/Geico.

Progressive, Allstate, Mercury, etc were all higher. Several other smaller companies classify Tesla as an exotic, so the pricing depended on your total car cost. A few said the rate was $3K-$4K per year! Ridiculous.

Getting multi-policy through Geico or State Farm will probably give you the best rate. Good luck!

Last edited:
I recommend checking out Ameriprise (Costco's partner). Three vehicles, including a LEAF and a P85, along with a rarely driven Honda Odyssey van, and the premium is about $640 every 6 months for all three...

I called Ameriprise and told them the the Tesla Forum referred us. They quoted it and gave us a costco discount. 2014 Tesla S, 2014 Jaguar "F" type and 2011 Lexus RX 350. Full coverage with 250/500 BI, 250/500 UM/UIM/ 1,000 Deductible collision, 100 Deductible comp total all cars $694.61 for 6 months. I was speechless (and that doesn't happen often) :)

Wow. I think I will give them a call.

I called Ameriprise and told them the the Tesla Forum referred us. They quoted it and gave us a costco discount. 2014 Tesla S, 2014 Jaguar "F" type and 2011 Lexus RX 350. Full coverage with 250/500 BI, 250/500 UM/UIM/ 1,000 Deductible collision, 100 Deductible comp total all cars $694.61 for 6 months. I was speechless (and that doesn't happen often) :)

We just got our ins. from Allstate and the 1 year premium is double our Jaguar "F" type. It came out to about $1500 a year:scared:. Full coverage with 100/300 liability. Clean driving record. Lat ticket 8 years ago (speeding) and last accident (non charged) 15 years ago.

Does anyone have a suggestion of other carriers prices?

Thanks from S. Cal :)

Looks like you've already received a great suggestion. If that doesn't work out you can try Wawanesa California out of San Diego. I've been with them for over 20 years. They are a premium carrier and if you've had at-fault accidents or tickets they may not take you but from your background description above I think you'll be fine.

I have a P85 and I pay $750 a year for it. Full coverage. We have one other car on the policy but it's very old and only $300 a year. We've already renewed on the Tesla and the rate did go up, but only around $50 for the year. Still it's around half of what you were quoted by Allstate.

Best of luck to you!

I had been with Allstate for almost 25 years, when they really increased my Tesla premium last year. I called Geico and they gave me a quote of about half of Allstate's. I talked to my Allstate agent and gave him a chance to match the price. He called back and said he tried, but couldn't. So I switched. I'm in the SF Bay Area.

I'm currently with Progressive, and I'm paying around 1800 per 6 months,

then again I'm 26 with a P85D (on order), and only been licensed in USA since April (in Australia since 2005)

Will try Costco/Ameriprise, tried for an online quote but couldn't find Tesla in the list.