Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Longer Can get Full Re-Gen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Going to mention this when I take my car in for it's "Annual", but wonder why this is:

Whenever I used to drive at speeds above, say, 50 MPH, if I dropped my foot off the accelerator my re-gen would jump to the full 60 kW and stay there until the car slowed down to some point around (as I recall) 30 or 40 MPH.

Now, no matter how fast I'm driving, the indicator goes to about 45 kW and kind of "twitches" around that mark, but never goes to the full 60 kW any more. I can be on the freeway at 70+ MPH and drop my foot right off the accelerator and the indicator will just go to between the 30 and 60 kW mark on the scale.

And yes, I am aware of the re-gen limits when cold (even if the yellow line is not showing), but that's not it. I noticed this when it was still warmer outside and even last winter with a fully warmed up battery I would still get the full 60 kW.

Anyone else seen this?

well, I still see the 60 but I think regen feels a bit weaker, even after the car is well warmed. my co worker drove his wife's S a couple of days ago and was asking me if they reduced the regen since he seemed to be using his brakes much more. It hasn't been that cold here yet, just a couple of days that I saw dashed regen limits but that was weeks ago

I've only noticed something similar when you're on the border of where the yellow line has recently disappeared and you're still limited for a bit more (either because of high SoC or cold temperature) but never for an extended period like you're saying.

Let us know what the SC says about it.

Going to mention this when I take my car in for it's "Annual", but wonder why this is:

Whenever I used to drive at speeds above, say, 50 MPH, if I dropped my foot off the accelerator my re-gen would jump to the full 60 kW and stay there until the car slowed down to some point around (as I recall) 30 or 40 MPH.

Now, no matter how fast I'm driving, the indicator goes to about 45 kW and kind of "twitches" around that mark, but never goes to the full 60 kW any more. I can be on the freeway at 70+ MPH and drop my foot right off the accelerator and the indicator will just go to between the 30 and 60 kW mark on the scale.

And yes, I am aware of the re-gen limits when cold (even if the yellow line is not showing), but that's not it. I noticed this when it was still warmer outside and even last winter with a fully warmed up battery I would still get the full 60 kW.

Anyone else seen this?

Anyone think this is tesla's version of "Winter Mode" downloaded with the last 6.0 software? I feel it too. Subtle but there.

I vaguely recall there being mention of regen being tweaked to not be so aggressive right away after cruise control? I suppose that could also apply to someone driving a constant 55 and suddenly removing their foot from the pedal?

agreed...regen has definitely decreased and I have to brake more. I have an S60 and charge to 90% daily in warm temps (San Diego)...the yellow line is always there lately...I thought it would only be limited if there wasn't available storage capacity for a full regen charge (or battery temp related)...but even after driving all day down to 50% charge, it never goes away for me...

starting to wonder whether this is an issue with my vehicle or just a new algorithm...overall, I miss the stronger regen/one foot driving...it seems dangerous to allow it to fluctuate because you get used to the level and depend on it...

agreed...regen has definitely decreased and I have to brake more. I have an S60 and charge to 90% daily in warm temps (San Diego)...the yellow line is always there lately...I thought it would only be limited if there wasn't available storage capacity for a full regen charge (or battery temp related)...but even after driving all day down to 50% charge, it never goes away for me...

starting to wonder whether this is an issue with my vehicle or just a new algorithm...overall, I miss the stronger regen/one foot driving...it seems dangerous to allow it to fluctuate because you get used to the level and depend on it...

Try a system reboot, and if it does not go away, you do have an issue and you should call and schedule service.

If Tesla really reduces regen based on temperature to avoid sliding on slippery roads it would only kick in when it gets close to freezing. Full regen isn't anywhere near hard enough to cause slippage on just a wet road.

If regen shows 60 kW and it feels less than before I think it's just a matter of perception. Just like acceleration. At first we are wowed by it, then we get used to it and it doesn't feel as strong any more. Of course the car never changed. Same with regen.

My impression, albeit not really founded on facts, was that it was reducing regen in the cooler weather and mostly based upon pack temp. Thus, even when very cold outside, if the battery pack was warmed up after a long drive I am still seeing full or nearly full regen. But even if the car was warmish (65F in my garage) and the air temps moderate (50sF) that regen is reduced until the pack itself has time to warm up (no idea what target temp).

agreed...regen has definitely decreased and I have to brake more. I have an S60 and charge to 90% daily in warm temps (San Diego)...the yellow line is always there lately...

In my non-scientific observations, the re-gen limit lines (and the power limit lines) seem to come and go similarly to how they did for me last fall/winter. What's different for me is that when it's warm, or when the battery and drive-train are fully warmed up with no limits showing, I can never get to the full 60 kW any longer.

- - - Updated - - -

I've only noticed something similar when you're on the border of where the yellow line has recently disappeared and you're still limited for a bit more (either because of high SoC or cold temperature) but never for an extended period like you're saying.

Yep. I was aware of that from last winter and am taking that into account.

I know this is a silly question, but have you checked to ensure the car is not in Range Mode, and/or didn't accidentally turn on Low Regen?

Otherwise, I'm interested to see what your SC responds with.

In my non-scientific observations, the re-gen limit lines (and the power limit lines) seem to come and go similarly to how they did for me last fall/winter. What's different for me is that when it's warm, or when the battery and drive-train are fully warmed up with no limits showing, I can never get to the full 60 kW any longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. I was aware of that from last winter and am taking that into account.

Pure speculation on my part, but one of your two chargers may have failed. That would explain a significant drop in regen power. You are reporting 45kW or so, and not 30kW, so I suspect that one charger has halved it's regen contribution. Anyway, please post the SC response as follow up.

Pure speculation on my part, but one of your two chargers may have failed. That would explain a significant drop in regen power. You are reporting 45kW or so, and not 30kW, so I suspect that one charger has halved it's regen contribution. Anyway, please post the SC response as follow up.
No, chargers don't impact regen. I've got 1 charger and get 60kW on the regen. Well, I used to and I haven't notice much of a change lately other than due to normal cold weather limits.

I know this is a silly question, but have you checked to ensure the car is not in Range Mode, and/or didn't accidentally turn on Low Regen?

Otherwise, I'm interested to see what your SC responds with.

Good thought, but I did check. In fact, I even toggled the settings just to be sure. I'm gonna try a re-boot before I leave work today, but I am overdue for my "Annual" so I will be mentioning it when it goes in for its appointment.

Good thought, but I did check. In fact, I even toggled the settings just to be sure. I'm gonna try a re-boot before I leave work today, but I am overdue for my "Annual" so I will be mentioning it when it goes in for its appointment.

As far as I can tell, range mode doesn't affect regen.

Although I've not experienced it personally, a number of folks here have reported a regen difference post-firmware-update. It seems that the dance to correct this has been:

1. Toggle setting to "Low"
  2. Reboot
  3. Toggle setting to "High"
  4. (Optionally) reboot again

So just for thoroughness' sake it might be worthwhile to try this?