Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Does Elon Think of ULA'S Delta IV Heavy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I watched Elon testify with ULA x-Ceo Michael Gass, he of course panned the Atlas rocket b/c of expense and Russian made engine, but I thought he didn't criticize the Delta family of rockets. He also suggested that the govt use a two rocket system using ULA's Delta and SpaceX's Falcon for a long term solution. Why did he give kudos to ULA's Delta class by suggesting this, isn't Spacex one day going to make a Falcon Heavy or other rockets that will go up against the Delta rockets?

When I watched Elon testify with ULA x-Ceo Michael Gass, he of course panned the Atlas rocket b/c of expense and Russian made engine, but I thought he didn't criticize the Delta family of rockets. He also suggested that the govt use a two rocket system using ULA's Delta and SpaceX's Falcon for a long term solution. Why did he give kudos to ULA's Delta class by suggesting this, isn't Spacex one day going to make a Falcon Heavy or other rockets that will go up against the Delta rockets?

I would guess that Elon thinks they are fine rockets with a good record that are outrageously expensive. He didn't pan them at the meeting you cited because he wasn't trying at that moment to take any business away from the Delta class. Once SpaceX has their foot in the door with the Air Force then business will come their way more naturally. The Atlas V with its RD-180 Russian engine shutting out SpaceX due to politics and BS backroom dealing deserved to have it pointed out and shamed. For taxpayer money to be blatantly thrown away like that was too obvious.

Once Falcon Heavy is out there and tested thoroughly then we'll see it going up against the Delta family of rockets.