Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do P85D rear seats go flat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone knows. The P85D vehicles that are currently being used for test rides do not have the new seats in the back only in the front. There might have been new seats in the back in some of the vehicles at the D event but I don't think anyone thought to investigate this there (or if they have I haven't seen them post about it). I'd guess this will be answered as soon as the first P85D vehicles get delivered.

I don't think anyone knows. The P85D vehicles that are currently being used for test rides do not have the new seats in the back only in the front. There might have been new seats in the back in some of the vehicles at the D event but I don't think anyone thought to investigate this there (or if they have I haven't seen them post about it). I'd guess this will be answered as soon as the first P85D vehicles get delivered.

Lowering the rear seats was far from our minds that night :)

I was a Tesla Store today to check out the Next Generation Seats. They had a P85D with the new front seats and old back seats. However, there was a new S85 in the showroom with the taller headrests in the back seat. The seats folded down but not completely flat. I assume this is the same as the old seats with the shorter headrests. From what I was told the taller headrests are now standard although they don't have the added bolstering that the Next Generation Seats will have.

The taller seats do cut visibility but as long as you are not carrying passengers in the back seat you can just fold the seat down. Unless you are carrying children the passengers heads are going to cut visibility even with the lower headrests. I'm tall and the lower head rests would allow my head to lean back and hit the roof. With the new headrests it prevented my head from hitting the roof in a pano equipped car. Not sure about the non pano roof car. So I really like the taller headrests. It appears I am one of the few that has ordered a P85D without the pano roof and next generation seats.

Would be interesting to know how rear mirror visibility vs. more rear seat whiplash protection is weighted in safety ratings. Hard to believe Tesla would enlarge the headrests without knowing the answer. I wonder what % of miles driven is with people in the back seat.

I test drove a P85D at the DC store today. These are the rear seats. I was told they are the real P85D seats. I was clearly provided incorrect information!! Now I am pissed! My apologies for posting incorrect information.

Attachments

• DSC01339.JPG
    DSC01339.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 545
  • DSC01340.JPG
    DSC01340.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Much thanks for the update. I just saw someones post with their newly delivered rear bolstered seats. I am very angry about this since I drove 4 hours just to see these seats and was then never told I was not seeing the real production seats. I am modifying my original post so as to remove incorrect information. If I could figure out how to remove my prior post all together I would, but I can't figure it out.