Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The temperature indicator shows high temperature after charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that the thermostat goes up anywhere from 83-91 degrees after my car is done charging. This is the temperature range I notice as soon as I unplug the charge either after immediately completing the charge or interrupting a charge. Is anyone else noticing this?

I just noticed that the thermostat goes up anywhere from 83-91 degrees after my car is done charging. This is the temperature range I notice as soon as I unplug the charge either after immediately completing the charge or interrupting a charge. Is anyone else noticing this?

Are you referring to the external temperature gauge? And I assume you mean it's indicating somewhere between 83-91, and not increasing by 83-91 degrees :)

I'm not sure where on the car the temp sensor for the temp display (on the center screen) is located but my guess is that the radiator fan for the battery cooling system is blowing warm air onto the temp sensor, resulting in the temp increase you are noticing.

You could ask you local Tesla Service Center about it and see what they say.

I have not noticed what you describe, but then I haven't looked for it.

I've noticed the same issue - outside temperature was in the 50s - but the car, inside the garage, while charging was in the 90s.

Overnight, when charging has been completed for several hours, the inside temperature is pretty accurate.

NOTE that this problem has been present in my ICEs with exterior temperature displays - they often didn't register the correct temperature, especially after the car has been sitting immediately after driving, when the engine heat warms up the car until everything cools down.

My bigger disappointment is about the temperature setting on the climate controls. In order to get the car cooled properly, it typically requires setting the climate controls to 67; but when heat is needed, I manually increase the temperature to the low-to-mid 70s.

Based on the outside temperature, I wonder if a software setting could be provided to correct for this and properly calibrate the climate control temperatures to be more reasonable...