Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will US Superchargers DOUBLE in 2014 over 2013 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the possibility is fairly real. If my calculations are correct we had 50 superchargers on 12/31/13 and there are now 83 opened this year. Opening 17 more by the end of this year is very aggressive but I think we have quite a few on the verge of opening.

Honestly, even if they did hit that mark, isn't it more telling that in 2014 they struggled to open as many as they did in 2013? Or are you saying that they've opened 83 this year for a total of 123? (sorry, I don't tally up SCs)

Are you sure about your numbers? From Tesla Motors website:

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 7.36.41 PM.png

Not sure the numbers on the website are reliable. If you move the slider to Coming Soon you get a much different picture than you do when moving the slider to 2014. Since we are already in December you would think the two versions should be almost identical.

This was from what was completed today, not coming soon. I suppose I could go through and hand count by address/location, but so could anyone else. So I doubt they'd have some huge gap.

As far as the difference between Coming Soon and 2014 ... I'm sure Coming Soon is always looking a certain amount of months into the future, not by year. I wouldn't expect those to ever be the same. Coming Soon just tells you what sites are up next on the priority list, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Another source (Teslaliving) show 288 online as of today. That seems in line with what we've been seeing over the last year.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 8.36.27 PM.png

50 stations were open as of Dec 31, 2013, in the US
2014 has added 86 so far, for a total of 136. 14 more in 2014 would be a doubling of 2012+2013. Even if they don't quite make it, still impressive growth.

Why limited to just the US? The Supercharging team is international, not US-only. There are another (approx) 145 sites opened outside of the US. That still takes bandwidth for installation.

And yes, even if you arbitrarily exclude non-US installations, still impressive growth.

Why limited to just the US? The Supercharging team is international, not US-only. There are another (approx) 145 sites opened outside of the US. That still takes bandwidth for installation.

And yes, even if you arbitrarily exclude non-US installations, still impressive growth.
To your point about non-US sites as well. Pretty incredible compared to 2012-2013. Had to be a major pain for many people to get this stuff done ... imagine the permit process in all jurisdictions!!

6eFuX8n.png
ydKExWJ.png

vt8Lhn1.png

To your point about non-US sites as well. Pretty incredible compared to 2012-2013. Had to be a major pain for many people to get this stuff done ... imagine the permit process in all jurisdictions!!

Definitely incredible. I am not aware of any other private entity that has carried out such a worldwide installation of standardised electrical infrastructure in so many different national markets in such a short time. There are air travel standards for things like airports, and shipping dock standards, but they don't propagate around the globe in such a fast manner and with so few agents (i.e. just Tesla Motors pushing it along)

I would say most people pretty much only care about Superchargers installed in places where they could potentially use them. There could be 5,000 Superchargers in Europe but that still wouldn't help me if there were still only 136 in the US. Sure it may help the long term viability of Tesla as a company, but it still doesn't allow me to drive where I could otherwise reach with an ICE.

Even if Tesla hits 150 superchargers in the U.S by December 31, 2014, it is still a far cry from the 201 (give or take a few) superchargers Tesla's map indicates would be operational in the U.S. in the same time period. 80% of the U.S. will definitely not be covered by supercharges by the end of this month.

No, supercharge.info shows 133 in the U.S. Tesla shows 135 in North America with two of those being in Canada so the numbers are in synch.

You are close, but there are 3 open Superchargers in Canada, and 133 in the U.S. according to Supercharger.Info. That is a total of 136. The difference between Supercharger.Info and Tesla's count is the Grand Ave Service Center in Chicago. For some reason, Tesla has never put this site on their map or counted it, but Supercharger.Info does.

According to Supercharger.Info, the North American total at the end of 2012 was 9, and at the end of 2013 was 50. With the current 136 in North America, Tesla added 41 Supercharger Sites in 2013 and has added 86 so far in 2014 in North America.

In contrast, Europe had no Superchargers at the end of 2012, 14 at the end of 2013, and currently has 107 Superchargers. That was 14 added in 2013 and 93 added so far in 2014 for Europe.

In the last several months, European Supercharger openings have been almost double North American openings.

Last edited:
Are you sure you're not moving the goalposts? The pledge is "80% of the US population and parts of Canada"

Additionally the goal is simply that 80% of the population will be within range of a supercharger. It doesn't have to be in a direction that they actually want to travel. Hopefully by the end of next year most road trips people want to do will be doable and by the end of 2016 traveling by supercharger should be a piece of cake.

I highly doubt that the superchargers installed to date (December 3, 2014) serve 80% of the U.S. population. Further, a quick look of Tesla's map for 2014 shows superchargers installed along, for example, I40 between New Mexico and Oklahoma, and I10 between Texas and Florida, or the stretch of road between Kansas City and Kentucky. These do not exist to date, but for one supercharger under construction in Louisiana. These routes are just examples of routes Tesla indicated to have superchargers installed by the end of 3014.

I like my car very much. I am also a stockholder. But this is another example of Tesla making overly optimistic projections. Actually, with respect to the superchargers, I really feel they are neglecting the U.S. (except for California and the east coast) in favor of Europe and Asia. Yes, Tesla added about 86 superchargers in the U.S. during 2014 (to date). But they don't deserve a pat on the back for that when they indicated they would have a much larger number of superchargers (approximately 60 additional superchargers to bring the total up to 200 superchargers).

Tesla projected 200 (actually 201 per their map) superchargers by the end of 2014. If they end the year with 140 superchargers, that is 70% (140 divided by 200), which in school gets you a grade of C. Even if they reach 145 superchargers by the end of 2014, that is only 72.5%. Another way to look at it is that they projected building approximately 150 superchargers in the U.S. in 2014 (200 indicated on the 2014 map minus 50 that existed at the end of 2013). With only 86 superchargers built to date, that is a completion of just over 57%, which is a failing grade in school.

I hope that when they revise their maps for 2015, Tesla will be more realistic (some would say truthful) with their projections.

Last edited: