Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious increase in miles while driving!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving to work this morning which is 135 miles from home. The temp was 40 degrees F and I kept the heat off as long as I could to eek out the miles to get to work. I was down to 51 ideal miles and 42 real miles when my toes were a little to icy so I turned on the heat and then hit the recycle air button. All of a sudden my ideal miles went up to 66 and my real miles went up to 57 respectively! It maintained the gain in miles and went down accordingly until I reached my destination. Any clue why this beautiful increase occurred???

Did you accidentally switch to range mode without noticing? That would add about 25 mi instantly.

If only the estimated miles changed then it could have had something to do with your consumption because it's based on the last 30 miles of driving. For example if you got off the highway, slowed down to 40 mph for a while the estimated miles could have increased a bit. But it's not that because you said both figures changed.

Anything is possible but I think that when in range mode the VDS reads "Maximum Range" or something like that on the battery icon. Idk how to switch into range mode while driving? I was on the highway the whole time and turned the fan switch on as the temperature dial was already on heat, then hit the recirculate button.

Before the feature to switch modes by tapping on the VDS was implemented, it was possible to switch modes (perhaps only on 2.x?) by turning the key to the "start" position again. But I would think you'd know if you had done that, too.