Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Usage for charging your car in AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I am starting to plan for our Model X and as part of this, we installed solar at the house. We over-sized the installation to allow for the extra draw of the Tesla. We collected about 10 month's worth of usage numbers which is giving us a better idea of the actual overage we have. (we are still in the + after the summer months and didn't start until Feb)

Now my question is: How much will it actually take to keep the Tesla charged?

First a few assumptions:
  • Average number of miles per year of 12,000
  • 85kWh Battery (we'll have to see what will be available)

The reason I posted this question here is because of the unique heat issues while charging the car in the middle of a hot garage in the summer.

I am hoping someone installed a usage meter on their charger in the Phoenix area to get a better idea of the usage. My assumption is that numbers from other areas really don't give the right picture of charging in the heat. Did anyone install additional cooling / ventilation in their garage?

Thank you in advance for any information.

I am starting to plan for our Model X and as part of this, we installed solar at the house. We over-sized the installation to allow for the extra draw of the Tesla. We collected about 10 month's worth of usage numbers which is giving us a better idea of the actual overage we have. (we are still in the + after the summer months and didn't start until Feb)

Now my question is: How much will it actually take to keep the Tesla charged?

First a few assumptions:
  • Average number of miles per year of 12,000
  • 85kWh Battery (we'll have to see what will be available)

The reason I posted this question here is because of the unique heat issues while charging the car in the middle of a hot garage in the summer.

I am hoping someone installed a usage meter on their charger in the Phoenix area to get a better idea of the usage. My assumption is that numbers from other areas really don't give the right picture of charging in the heat. Did anyone install additional cooling / ventilation in their garage?

Thank you in advance for any information.

gjunk

Monthly average for 12 month period ending 11/14 is 543kWh. 85 battery. 1500 mi/month.

Vehicle is charged only between 11PM and 5AM on APS "ev rate"...their term is "other peak"