Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New production (late 2014) new TPMS sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect there has been no change in frequency (TPMS sensors work in IMS or Industrial, Medical, Scientific frequency ranges of 315 or 433 MHz with 315 MHz normally being used in the US - like the fobs). I suspect a change in data packet which opens the door for temperature and pressure per tire. My fingers are crossed.

I picked up my car 1 month ago. Got a small nail in the first two days with very slow leak. Sensors alerted me (but not to specific tire) when the pressure was at 30-35. Did not alert me when tire was at 37 - figured that out by checking myself.

Don't know if that helps, but thought I'd put it out there anyways.

I picked up my car 1 month ago. Got a small nail in the first two days with very slow leak. Sensors alerted me (but not to specific tire) when the pressure was at 30-35. Did not alert me when tire was at 37 - figured that out by checking myself.

Don't know if that helps, but thought I'd put it out there anyways.

I assume your car has the new AutoPilot sensors?

In any event -- there are plenty of cars now that have AutoPilot hardware but no software to address it -- so it's possible that the ability to read individual tires is there, but the software does not yet display it.

Just heard from my DS. He confirmed the new , incompatible with the old, TPMS sensors. This change occurred with the auto pilot sensors. He is working on pricing for the sensors. My local SC does not have them in stock yet.

Glad I didn't buy a winter wheel setup for the old car and presume I could just put them on the new car with no issues.
Funny.
If by "old car" you mean my 8 month old car which visually has the identical summer wheels and has the tpms that has been in place for 2 years or so with no changes. Perhaps when Tesla was phoning us up to ask us if we wanted winter wheels with our order they could have pointed out that the winter wheels I already have (I told them I had wheels left over from my trade in) might not be compatible. Obviously he was just a cold caller but nonetheless that would have been good to add to his script and maybe he could have changed my mind or at least sold me some sensors.
I' m not trying to cheat or cheap out. I bought the winters because I had concerns about the pirellis. Tesla would not take them with the trade in obviously so it seemed logical and safe to keep them. Come to think of it, I did ask someone at Tesla if there was anything different with the AWD and they said no. I guess technically that is true as it was introduced prior to AWD but I'm guessing the Preston I asked didn't know that TPMS had changed.

Funny.
If by "old car" you mean my 8 month old car which visually has the identical summer wheels and has the tpms that has been in place for 2 years or so with no changes. Perhaps when Tesla was phoning us up to ask us if we wanted winter wheels with our order they could have pointed out that the winter wheels I already have (I told them I had wheels left over from my trade in) might not be compatible. Obviously he was just a cold caller but nonetheless that would have been good to add to his script and maybe he could have changed my mind or at least sold me some sensors.
I' m not trying to cheat or cheap out. I bought the winters because I had concerns about the pirellis. Tesla would not take them with the trade in obviously so it seemed logical and safe to keep them. Come to think of it, I did ask someone at Tesla if there was anything different with the AWD and they said no. I guess technically that is true as it was introduced prior to AWD but I'm guessing the Preston I asked didn't know that TPMS had changed.

I wasn't targeting that at you (actually didn't see your post until after I'd made mine). I seriously was considering buying another set of wheels for my September 2014 vehicle. I decided to wait since it didn't make sense to tie the money up in wheels/tmps/tires for a few months.

Funny.

I'm in the same boat. Although I am happy with the new functionality. I specifically asked about using my "old" snow tires and wheels from my P+ on the car both before I bought the car and after purchase during the phone call asking about winter tires. Not a big deal if the sensors are available separately, or it the car will work in the short term with the old sensors. For me it is mandatory to put on the snows as soon as the car arrives. It seems a little late to be finding there may be an issue now, especially after Tesla felt the need to make the snow tire specific phone calls after my order had been confirmed.

Andrew, did they give you any idea about any new functionality?

He said the current cars with the new sensors do not have new functionality. He also did not know if the new sensors would make it possible to report the PSI with a future software update. So.. No is the answer to your your question.

I wish tesla could have given us a heads up. It would have saved me a few hundred dollars in extra TPMS sensors. Hey Tesla, if you're listening, throw me a bone and give me an extra set of sensors on the house. I'll even give you my old ones that you can recycle...

Just heard from my DS. He confirmed the new , incompatible with the old, TPMS sensors. This change occurred with the auto pilot sensors. He is working on pricing for the sensors. My local SC does not have them in stock yet.
I'm unclear. Does this mean my 2012 Tesla can only use old sensors forever? I don't care if I can't get new data precise temperature/pressure, I just don't want to be stuck scrounging junkyards in 6 years because I need an "ancient" sensor that's no longer produced.

I'm unclear. Does this mean my 2012 Tesla can only use old sensors forever? I don't care if I can't get new data precise temperature/pressure, I just don't want to be stuck scrounging junkyards in 6 years because I need an "ancient" sensor that's no longer produced.

My assumption is your car will continue to use the v1 sensors and will not work with v2. Likewise, the cars with autopilot use v2 sensors and will not work with v1. They are mutually exclusive.