Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's "Double stacked" lanes and Thoughts on driving at faster rates of speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
2 Questions....

Does anyone remember/know the interview where Elon talked about the double stacked lanes? Driving on top and below which would improve traffic flow :confused:

And also what do you guys think about having special lanes for driving at higher rates of speed (aka fast lanes)?

Personally I think a better use of a dedicated lane would be for auto-driving cars that communicate to each other such that they can be spaced very closely. Obviously no cars under manual control would be allowed, so the cars would have to talk to each other to ensure that they were all under automatic control, their software was up to date, and mechanically they were in good shape.

The problem I see with high speed lanes is that two adjacent lanes with large relative speed differences is that if someone twitches into the high speed lane the potential for a very serious crash is high. Low relative speeds I think greatly lessens the problem.

I recall him talking about dropping sectional pieces of double stacked freeway as a solution for traffic on the 405. This was at the 3rd Street Promenade Santa Monica store sometime last year but I can't remember what the exact event was. I think it was somewhat around the time of the beginning of European deliveries. If Elon thinks it will work, I'm all for it.

adding lanes like the 110 hov to the freeways is the simcity players solution to congestion. pretty much every time i mention that idea to anyone they immediately talk about the san fransisco earthquake and urban blight.

...personally i think its a beautiful stretch of freeway both above and below.

Does anyone remember/know the interview where Elon talked about the double stacked lanes? Driving on top and below which would improve traffic flow
confused.gif

10 Questions for Elon Musk - TIME
Is there a technological limit to what you are capable of creating?Patrick Scott, WASHINGTON
As long as it doesn't violate some law of physics or economics, I guess there's ostensibly no limit. One thing I know I could get right, though it sounds mundane, is to apply aerospace-engineering techniques to create a double-decker freeway with prefabricated, high-strength metal sections that are dropped into place to double up the lanes so you don't have traffic. I've had plenty of time to contemplate it on L.A. freeways.

And, previously from "the Governator":
Schwarzenegger Proposes Making the 405 a Double Decker Freeway | Streetsblog Los Angeles

Last edited:
Personally I think a better use of a dedicated lane would be for auto-driving cars that communicate to each other such that they can be spaced very closely. Obviously no cars under manual control would be allowed, so the cars would have to talk to each other to ensure that they were all under automatic control, their software was up to date, and mechanically they were in good shape.

The problem I see with high speed lanes is that two adjacent lanes with large relative speed differences is that if someone twitches into the high speed lane the potential for a very serious crash is high. Low relative speeds I think greatly lessens the problem.

+1. I'm a fan of the train lane, I've been suggesting it for a while. Technically, you don't *need* the cars to talk to each other, as long as you have a way to validate they are all self driving - while in principle expanding their view through the other cars is useful, in practice they have pretty fast reaction times without it (though it could be useful.)

The lane could be set up with entry points that only open when the car talks to the lane control computers as a validation.
Walter