Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla marketing phrases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hated "Burn Rubber, Not Gasoline". It sounds bossy and negative. The "not gasoline" part isn't even a Tesla strength; any alternative-fuel car can claim that. I'm very happy that Tesla doesn't appear to be using it anymore :)

"No Compromises" is my favorite so far. It's bold, plays to Tesla's strength, and can't really be matched by the competition. "Design, Performance, Efficiency" is pretty good, but not as exciting.

I haven't seen Tesla use the others you've listed, but in general, if a golf cart can use it, it's not appropriate for Tesla, in my opinion :)

-Ryan / Kardax

Can someone say something about how the Roadster makes a lot of noise for something that's fairly quiet? "Be seen, not heard." or something along the lines of "Make a statement without saying a word." I'm not that good with words, obviously. But I think Tesla should make it their strength that you can "have a blast without the bang."

Remember those Lexus commercials that showed how smooth the engine was. I believe the Tesla motor is smoother than that.

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow is too complicated. Thrust is where it's at.

And for those who can't wait, they can have it now: torque, gratification, without the guilt. Ice cream, only it doesn't melt. You get the idea...

But I just want someone to write something about how these curves are nice to look at but are made to be ridden.

You all know what sells... ;)

Kardax said:
I really hated "Burn Rubber, Not Gasoline".  It sounds bossy and negative.  The "not gasoline" part isn't even a Tesla strength; any alternative-fuel car can claim that.  I'm very happy that Tesla doesn't appear to be using it anymore :)

I didn't mind that phrase at all.

It sort of reminded me of one of my favorite Porsche Turbo poster headlines: "Kills Bugs Fast."

9536.jpg

Takumi said:
Can someone say something about how the Roadster makes a lot of noise for something that's fairly quiet? "Be seen, not heard."
Well that phrase does work, but is usually used to describe how some people think children should behave.

or something along the lines of "Make a statement without saying a word."

Another phrase along those lines is "Speak softly but carry a large stick" but not so good for marketing a product!

The best I could think of is "The Silence is Deafening!" but I am sure that phrase has been used countless times for other things.

But I think Tesla should make it their strength that you can "have a blast without the bang."
Remember those Lexus commercials that showed how smooth the engine was. I believe the Tesla motor is smoother than that.

So in those commercials they made a tower of champagne glasses on the hood with the engine revving but nothing falling.
258px-Lexus_Balance_ad.jpg

Now they have spoofed themselves with more champagne glass commercials.

Perhaps Tesla could spoof them even more and emphasize not only the silence/smoothness but also the speed.
Perhaps there is a table filled with dishes and champagne glasses. Some guys in lab coats are carefully moving glasses from the table to the hood of the luxury sedan about to show off how quiet.
In the background the Tesla quickly and silently drives up, gets the tablecloth hooked on the trunk lid and speeds off so quickly that the tablecloth is yanked out without spilling anything. The technicians turn back and are startled to see the tablecloth gone but never even realized that the Tesla came and went.

Kardax said:
I really hated "Burn Rubber, Not Gasoline".  It sounds bossy and negative.  The "not gasoline" part isn't even a Tesla strength; any alternative-fuel car can claim that.  I'm very happy that Tesla doesn't appear to be using it anymore :)

I think "Burn Rubber, Not Gasoline" is perfect. It's witty, and it captures how the Roadster is different from every other electric car most people have ever heard of. Bossy and negative? I don't see it. I do think it totally flies in the face of how electric cars have been presented before, and that's great. That's what the Roadster is all about.

TEG said:
"Design, Performance, Efficiency."

Style, performance or efficiency?  Pick any three.   ;D

"Changing Perceptions"
"No Compromises"
"You Can Drive the Future"
"Zero Emissions Equals Zero Guilt"

Bleh.  I have never felt "guilt" over any car I've ever driven (including my 1985 4WD F-250 with dual gas tanks).  When I hear about people driving a "guilt-free" green car, it doesn't make sense to me -- it's like they're speaking a foreign language.

But I am a Texan, you know.