Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner 1km from the Toronto Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky enough to snag a Model S 85 the moment Tesla increased their reductions on demos. When you are offered $27,000 off a car, you are obligated to say yes, right?

I dove into the deep end on my first day of ownership with a trip to my cottage 250km away in the snow. Range anxiety experienced and now (three weeks later), a thing of the past. Much like gas stations for that matter.

I live 1km from the Supercharger so, I won't be installing 50amp plug at my house. Instead, I frequent the Lawrence Avenue location a few times a week to top up. If you see the same guy there in a white car, it's probably me. Say hello.

I am thinking about Plastidip-ing it green. I will post photos if I make that leap.

Other than that, I am still on the waiting list for a Model X. Let's see what is complete first... the Model X or my 3-year lease.

Congrats on the new S and the deal you got!
Many happy and safe miles.

One question for you though.... I too live only 3 miles from a SuperCharger here in Connecticut.
I was just wondering if using a SuperCharger very often for your primary charge is good for the battery pack?
I really have not done any research on that aspect.
Just wondering what others "know" or "feel" about that type of charge.
I travel only 40-60 miles per day so I could get to the SuperCharger in Milford, CT (I95 rest stop) every other day for a 40 minute charge.

I am interested in hearing what others say about the use of a SuperCharger.... on a common basis , given I would use
good ethics and let others in if needed. However, I very rarely see any Tesla's hooked up when I go by.
I expect that will change as the months roll by an more S's arrive here in CT.

PS: your model X should be in by Spring of 2016 for sure.

I was lucky enough to snag a Model S 85 the moment Tesla increased their reductions on demos. When you are offered $27,000 off a car, you are obligated to say yes, right?

I live 1km from the Supercharger so, I won't be installing 50amp plug at my house. Instead, I frequent the Lawrence Avenue location a few times a week to top up.

Nice! What spec? Did the -$27K include the Ontario rebate? Most of the demo's I saw there were the high end P85+ model with most options.

The locality of the charger is convenient for you to be sure, and the charge rate and lack of payment can't be beat. :)

I would note when I was there a few weeks ago for a test drive, there were only 2 spots left on the chargers, so to demonstrate charging to my family, I needed to back in between two existing vehicles. If possible, please park to keep the one "on the end" free for folks like me not accustomed to parking the Model S, and thus increasing our "pre-charging anxiety". ;-)

Note : You may want to frequent the "Canada" forum: Canada

Cheers!

As an owner who doesn't have home charging, and relies on work charging and public charging, I'd recommend getting a plug installed at your house. Will be a nicer experience than having to go to the charger every few days, even if it is really close. Plug at your house means you won't have to take any time out of your days to charge.

I dove into the deep end on my first day of ownership with a trip to my cottage 250km away in the snow. Range anxiety experienced and now (three weeks later), a thing of the past. Much like gas stations for that matter.

I live 1km from the Supercharger so, I won't be installing 50amp plug at my house. Instead, I frequent the Lawrence Avenue location a few times a week to top up. If you see the same guy there in a white car, it's probably me. Say hello.

I am thinking about Plastidip-ing it green. I will post photos if I make that leap.

Other than that, I am still on the waiting list for a Model X. Let's see what is complete first... the Model X or my 3-year lease.
I think that will get old after a while. It will take much more of your time than filling up a gasoline car. Remember "topping up" is slow. My suggestion is to install the 50A outlet at home, wake up to a full charge every day, and leave the supercharger for the long-distance travelers.

I think that will get old after a while. It will take much more of your time than filling up a gasoline car. Remember "topping up" is slow. My suggestion is to install the 50A outlet at home, wake up to a full charge every day, and leave the supercharger for the long-distance travelers.

I'm not certain he'd want to wake up to a full charge every day -- keep it within the daily limit unless you need more.

I'd like to have a Supercharger 1km from me, but only for those times when you unexpectedly need a quick charge -- which is rare for me. Charging there ever few days just to save a few dollars on power, or a few more not to have a pay to install a 50 amp outlet, doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the welcome... although, some of you are clearly hatin' on my free power. LOL

ArtInCT:
I told the sales team I will supercharge often and they have seen me. They haven't mentioned drawbacks... but then again, I don't know if Tesla would admit if supercharging was bad for your car. I mean, it is one of their key selling features.

SmartElectric:
The car had 16,500 km and doesn't qualify for the Ontario rebate (2000km limit).
It has the tech & winter package, 19-inch wheels and panoramic roof.

Regarding no charger at home:
- I can see how a mandatory stop following work and rush hour would make a 50amp plug the better option. However, I am self employed and work from home. I stop at the supercharger for 15-minutes whenever I feel like it.

- I am an 'always prepared' kind of guy. I want my car to have at least 300km in the tank when I park it. I use my standard outlet on cold nights or to get 400km by morning . Even if I had a 50amp, I would hate the idea of a dead car in the driveway and being stuck if I had a last minute job 100km away.

- Finally, the trill of getting something free never gets old. It's not a matter of being cheap. As an event photographer, I am sometimes outfitted with sponsored shoes, jackets and goodies. It's like receiving a gift and supercharging feels the same way.

Thanks for the welcome... although, some of you are clearly hatin' on my free power. LOL

ArtInCT:
I told the sales team I will supercharge often and they have seen me. They haven't mentioned drawbacks... but then again, I don't know if Tesla would admit if supercharging was bad for your car. I mean, it is one of their key selling features.

SmartElectric:
The car had 16,500 km and doesn't qualify for the Ontario rebate (2000km limit).
It has the tech & winter package, 19-inch wheels and panoramic roof.

Regarding no charger at home:
- I can see how a mandatory stop following work and rush hour would make a 50amp plug the better option. However, I am self employed and work from home. I stop at the supercharger for 15-minutes whenever I feel like it.

- I am an 'always prepared' kind of guy. I want my car to have at least 300km in the tank when I park it. I use my standard outlet on cold nights or to get 400km by morning . Even if I had a 50amp, I would hate the idea of a dead car in the driveway and being stuck if I had a last minute job 100km away.

- Finally, the trill of getting something free never gets old. It's not a matter of being cheap. As an event photographer, I am sometimes outfitted with sponsored shoes, jackets and goodies. It's like receiving a gift and supercharging feels the same way.

I would be doing the same thing. Free charging will never get old (I don't even have my car yet, and I'm loving the idea!). We have a SuperCharger going in in Canmore, and Red Deer (eventually), and I'll be using them as much as I can.

For some real world info Google Bjorn Nyland Tesla, he's in the Netherlands and does a LOT of supercharging, and driving for that matter, I think he's pushing 100000KM's on his 2013 P85. Supercharging isn't bad for the battery. In fact the Supercharger will manage the charge rate to your battery, slowing down as it gets closer to full.