Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

France will rank cars for pollution and seek to phase out diesel fuel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
December 1, 2014 - 4:02 am ET
PARIS (Reuters) --

France wants to gradually phase out the use of diesel fuel for passenger cars and will put in place a system to identify the most polluting vehicles, Prime Minister Manuel Valls said..

"In France, we have long favored the diesel engine. This was a mistake, and we will progressively undo that, intelligently and pragmatically," Valls said.

About 80 percent of French motorists drive diesel-powered cars.

Taxation would have to orient citizens towards more ecological choices, Valls said in a speech on Friday. The 2015 state budget measures would seek to reduce the tax advantage of diesel fuel versus gas.

Energy Minister Segolene Royal announced earlier this year that drivers scrapping diesel-powered cars to buy an electric one would be entitled to a bonus of up to 10,000 euros ($13,500).

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ts-to-phase-out-diesel-powered-passenger-cars

This is a very interesting development. The promotion of diesel was done on the basis of its relative fuel efficiency, but now in Paris the local air quality issues are becoming more important, leading to the decision to go away from diesel. I never thought I would see the day, but I'll be happy if it comes to pass.

Also seeing more Teslas on the streets these days, and fewer Twizzys than I expected.