Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D won't be available for test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by my local Tesla store today while doing some other shopping in the mall and asked about test driving a P85D when one comes available. The reps said that they'll have one soon but also said that it won't be available for test drives- only ride-alongs with a sales rep. They said that it's a policy from corporate. They knew I currently own a P85, as well. I guess this policy makes sense, but it's kind of disappointing! Has anyone else heard this?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I just saw this mentioned in another thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/38181-P85D-sighting-test-drives

I think that makes sense from a liability standpoint. I don't think a lot of people realize how quickly you can get into trouble with a car that launches like a P85d. The average person walking into a showroom won't know how to handle nearly 700hp.

Just buy one, test drive it, and if you don't like it give it back, per Elon.

This is distinctly different from exotics where, if you're someone special you might get a test drive, but more then likely it's "just buy it and if you don't like it too bad - good luck selling it on the used market."

If someone wasn't willing to buy one and the test drive was just for thrills, I can see why Tesla isn't going to do them.

As someone that feels like I basically got that deal... It's still not something you really want to plan on doing. Sure it's better than selling it on the used market. It's still not ideal. Tesla really needs to do P85D test drives. I'm sure they realize that. But they may be running into issues with their insurance carrier over this.

It's a hunch, but I don't think you'll be able to get all your money back when you return a car. You certainly don't if you lease it:

Significantly Improved Leasing for a Tesla with US Bank | Blog | Tesla Motors

(You're out the down payment and any monthly payments you already made.)

I doubt their guarantee for purchased cars would be a better deal. And considering that guarantee has only been mentioned in passing (for purchases, not leases), it could just be a mistake.

I'm sure it would be easy to program limits like they do with top speed on the regular test drive cars. Perhaps some sort of salesperson override -- we'll let you experience a full "throttle" run-up with the sales person driving, then you take control with limits set and adjusted as needed by the salesperson to prevent crazy driving. Not many dealers are going to let anyone take a super high powered car out for a no holds-barred demo, but the S is probably unique in that it's highly computerized controls would make it relatively easy to adjust on the fly. Compare that to other cars where the only control is yanking the keys out!

perhaps a balance can be struck with some form of refundable deposit required before test driving a p85d?

That's reasonable. I meant to say something to that effect but forgot. I'd even be happy with requiring that people place an order for a P85D.

It's a hunch, but I don't think you'll be able to get all your money back when you return a car. You certainly don't if you lease it:

Significantly Improved Leasing for a Tesla with US Bank | Blog | Tesla Motors

(You're out the down payment and any monthly payments you already made.)

I doubt their guarantee for purchased cars would be a better deal. And considering that guarantee has only been mentioned in passing (for purchases, not leases), it could just be a mistake.

I traded my S85 bought in September and was one of the last cars off the line before the autopilot swap in order to get an vehicle with autopilot (and decided to get AWD while I was at it). I'm assuming that trade is essentially what Elon was talking about. My trade was for $4,820 less than what I paid for the vehicle (net after tax credit). Elon's blog posts says they'll deduct for mileage and damage. That's what I figure that $4,820 accounts for.

The average person ... won't know how to handle nearly 700hp.

Thus develops the next gen seat market :biggrin:

You can take the average car to a track, maybe practice with a 250-400+HP in limited dry public spaces, or you can stuff nearly 700hp in a vehicle driven by people whom, I'm going to guess, have had nearly zero experience breaking traction at 20-30mph, let alone 50+, on wet turns. It will be right there, under their feet. "Normal" mode will probably require pushing the throttle into another zip code, but if that power truly is available the nannys may not bail you out.

That's reasonable. I meant to say something to that effect but forgot. I'd even be happy with requiring that people place an order for a P85D.

But what is the point in placing a deposit if I don't like the vehicle...I understand that it is a luxury electric sedan but when I test drive Porsche or premium cars like that ...the dealership asks for liability insurance card and driver's license and they let people drive it. Anyone test driving a premium car should understand that if they crash the car they are responsible for it...

Asking for a deposit appears little too much to me but I could be wrong.

Just a thought

I'm sure it would be easy to program limits like they do with top speed on the regular test drive cars. Perhaps some sort of salesperson override -- we'll let you experience a full "throttle" run-up with the sales person driving, then you take control with limits set and adjusted as needed by the salesperson to prevent crazy driving. Not many dealers are going to let anyone take a super high powered car out for a no holds-barred demo, but the S is probably unique in that it's highly computerized controls would make it relatively easy to adjust on the fly. Compare that to other cars where the only control is yanking the keys out!

100% agreed, I'm super surprised by now that Tesla hasn't implemented or exposed a way to configure the HP or torque limits over an MPH graph already. Then i.e. someone one could set max HP to limit at say 40 MPH, then get weaker and weaker as they move up in speed. Be a great way to loan car to someone and let them drive to experience the G's, but able to limit it.

But what is the point in placing a deposit if I don't like the vehicle...I understand that it is a luxury electric sedan but when I test drive Porsche or premium cars like that ...the dealership asks for liability insurance card and driver's license and they let people drive it. Anyone test driving a premium car should understand that if they crash the car they are responsible for it...

Cancel your order and get your money back if you decide you don't like it. I'm sure if someone had an order (even a confirmed one) and then took a test drive and decided they didn't like the vehicle Tesla would give you your deposit back.

The point of the deposit is to discourage joy riders. People seriously considering a purchase shouldn't be discouraged by putting a deposit down.

Either way I understand the concern with the P85D, but I think serious buyers should get to test drive them before buying.

Last summer I took a P85+ for a test drive in the hills between Burlingame and 280, which are tight and twisty roads. We finished on the freeway and I was able to max it out to the 80mph limit, after having accelerated from 0mph on the on-ramp.

Was it a joy ride? Not at all, I was very curious to find out how a 4700-lb beast would handle. But was I seriously considering purchasing a Tesla at the time? Not at all.

I think requiring a deposit is a bit excessive to get a test drive, but I understand being careful about allowing any kid to jump behind the wheel of a very powerful machine. P85+ to P85D is a bit of a jump, but I don't know why they wouldn't eventually allow test drives of a supposedly safer AWD model.

Way back when they had the original test drive events (prior to any actual deliveries; this did pretty much require that you already had put down a deposit), went to the one up in DC. For the two rides I went out on (one as driver, one as back seat passenger), the Tesla rep was pushing the drivers to test the car's handling in the one freeway looping ramp along the route.

While the D may have a bit more torque to throw around than a P, taking away the potential for a test drive isn't something I'd even thought a remote possibility.

If they ever get around to implementing an owner-defined valet mode profile (setting limits to top speed as well as power consumption rate), problem would be solved in a jiffy.

I think that makes sense from a liability standpoint. I don't think a lot of people realize how quickly you can get into trouble with a car that launches like a P85d. The average person walking into a showroom won't know how to handle nearly 700hp.

+ 691

I would certainly not want to be the Tesla gallery employee sitting in the front passenger seat with any bloke behind the wheel of a P85D, with, or without a deposit.

dflye, did you see that beautiful white LFA that was at the Gaithersburg "Get Amped" tour?

Last edited:
Way back when they had the original test drive events (prior to any actual deliveries; this did pretty much require that you already had put down a deposit), went to the one up in DC. For the two rides I went out on (one as driver, one as back seat passenger), the Tesla rep was pushing the drivers to test the car's handling in the one freeway looping ramp along the route.

The very first test drive event was the day after the very first deliveries. They only did test rides prior to that.

I ordered my P85D without a Test ride/drive.

I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs, so I'm really really hoping that Tesla has got the Next Gen Seats right.

Both my previous P85s were comfy, the P01966 more so than the P09079. (IIRC, I was lower in the seat in the earlier model).

so excited, my local store is supposed to get a P85D any day now (its on a truck), so I'm really really hoping it comes soon.

dflye, did you see that beautiful white LFA that was at the Gaithersburg "Get Amped" tour?
I definitely remember that car in the lot at the event, it was drawing a crowd (myself included)

The very first test drive event was the day after the very first deliveries. They only did test rides prior to that.
Okay, true enough that it was just after the very, very limited early deliveries began (the DC event was in mid-July 2012), guess I didn't really consider them to be delivering cars at that point, even as a Sig reservation holder at the time!

Just confirmed a test DRIVE for the P85D at the Devon, PA service center. I specifically asked if it was a ride only and they said no, I could drive it! I did say that if I didn't feel comfortable taking it to the max, if I could have them drive it for me and they said yes to that as well. So P85D is officially cleared for test drives now :biggrin: Get out your checkbooks!