Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control By December 15, 2014, as per Tesla Test Drive Rep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I had my first test drive today, and of course was duly impressed. I had not realized that the Model S already had the ability to warn you via a vibration in the steering wheel if you were deviating from your lane without signalling. (I knew that was coming--just didn't know it was implemented already.)

But the big news that I wanted to share is that according to the rep who showed me the car, in two weeks Tesla will be delivering a software update to the cars with the autopilot sensors that will allow for the implementation of Adaptive Cruise Control. He seemed quite certain of this. I hope he's right!

The test drive reps don't typically have information you can bank on. I hope he's right, too. But, well ... hey, sure it's coming. But counting on a date from a test drive rep and not an official communication? No.

You're probably right, Bonnie. I have no experience with this. The only reason I posted, and thought it was probably good information was that he offered this up completely on his own. I hadn't asked about the feature, and he knew I had a P85D about to go into production, so he didn't need to "sell" me on anything. It was just kind of a "by the way" kind of comment, as he was showing me the speed assist feature.

I'm sure you guys were told that. But just look around the forum and find how many times a test drive rep had the latest info that wasn't officially communicated in other ways, especially a hard date.

Not trying to rain on the parade. I'm only trying to introduce a little reality here. Of course it could happen. That would be great! But usually rumors are swirling and from other sources. When the rumors have been coming from service techs or test drive reps & people have started buying stock options off that info, it hasn't ended well historically.

Even when Elon said an update would be ready it doesn't necessarily happen (or should I say especially when Elon says...). If so we would have had version 6 in February. Steve Jobs was said to have a reality distortion field. Elon has a time distortion field. You will soon learn about Tesla time. Thing is, it's worth waiting for so we usually don't mind.

I'm sure you guys were told that. But just look around the forum and find how many times a test drive rep had the latest info that wasn't officially communicated in other ways, especially a hard date.

Not trying to rain on the parade. I'm only trying to introduce a little reality here. Of course it could happen. That would be great! But usually rumors are swirling and from other sources. When the rumors have been coming from service techs or test drive reps & people have started buying stock options off that info, it hasn't ended well historically.

Cumulo nimbonnie?

I think by now everybody should know that stuff will arrive sometime between the first person excitedly posting that they've received the update and the point at which Tesla's algorithm/randomizer delivers the update to the final Model S.

So when Tesla does release something new, is it typically pushed out first via updates, or is a car rolling off the line likely to have it first? For example, when they rolled out Version 6, were the first people that reported getting it owners who found themselves upgraded from 5.x, or did people taking delivery of new vehicles have version 6 first, and then shortly thereafter it started being pushed out to existing owners with 5.x?

I ask because the first P85Ds are supposedly going to be delivered this week. (That's not rumor. That's based on information from the ordering and delivery thread.)

So when Tesla does release something new, is it typically pushed out first via updates, or is a car rolling off the line likely to have it first? For example, when they rolled out Version 6, were the first people that reported getting it owners who found themselves upgraded from 5.x, or did people taking delivery of new vehicles have version 6 first, and then shortly thereafter it started being pushed out to existing owners with 5.x?

I ask because the first P85Ds are supposedly going to be delivered this week. (That's not rumor. That's based on information from the ordering and delivery thread.)

Typically the updates go into the field of cars in service first. I took delivery of my new Model S P85+ and I was only running 5.14 while a good percentage of the cars in the field had 6.0 for weeks... I had to finally go in for service to get the update. This has been true even before me... Check the other forum posts...

Typically the updates go into the field of cars in service first. I took delivery of my new Model S P85+ and I was only running 5.14 while a good percentage of the cars in the field had 6.0 for weeks... I had to finally go in for service to get the update. This has been true even before me... Check the other forum posts...

Yes and no. The 5.14 / 6.0 situation was a bit unique in that it appeared that there were certain new features in cars coming off the line that were supported with apparently a fork of the 5.x firmware codeline while 6.0 was pushed out to all older cars.

In most (all?) other situations, cars off the line got the new firmware first while the OTA push to older cars in the field took multiple weeks.