Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will other EV mfgrs. use the Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CHGolferJim

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2014
Chapel Hill NC
(mod note: moved out of the Mercedes B-Class thread)
I don't think the analysts truly comprehend how much of a competitive edge the SC network gives Tesla.

Certainly agree. Is the idea of sharing SC technology likely in the future? Would the strategy be one of gaining a smaller piece of a much bigger pie? Timing vs. Model X and 3 launches would be key. How can Tesla kill the 3 series if BMW has access to the SC network?

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly agree. Is the idea of sharing SC technology likely in the future? Would the strategy be one of gaining a smaller piece of a much bigger pie? Timing vs. Model X and 3 launches would be key. How can Tesla kill the 3 series if BMW has access to the SC network?

Elon has always said that Tesla is open to any manufacturer using the SC network as long as they pay their fair share of the costs of building and running it, their cars use the Tesla connector type, and they charge their customers up front for the service, like Tesla does.

Tesla is out to "kill" all ICE cars for personal transport. If BMW or any manufacturer wants to build EVs that can use the SC network under Elon's terms he's all for that as it furthers Tesla mission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon has always said that Tesla is open to any manufacturer using the SC network as long as they pay their fair share of the costs of building and running it, their cars use the Tesla connector type, and they charge their customers up front for the service, like Tesla does.

and they put in a large enough battery to be able to handle 120kW of charging current.

This is a big one as it 1) makes sure we don't end up with a bunch of small battery cars clogging up SC sipping power slowly, and 2) pushes other car companies to put out real BEVs with real range, not just minimal compliance cars or plugin hybrids with small batteries.

I don't think the analysts truly comprehend how much of a competitive edge the SC network gives Tesla.

How can Tesla kill the 3 series if BMW has access to the SC network?

Tesla is out to "kill" all ICE cars for personal transport. If BMW or any manufacturer wants to build EVs that can use the SC network under Elon's terms he's all for that as it furthers Tesla mission.

Agreed, Tesla is not out to kill the 3 series provided the car meets the minium requirements of entry to the Supercharger Network.

I respectfully disagree with the premise of Andrew's remark that the Supercharger Network will be used as a competitive advantage over other EVs.

Larry

I respectfully disagree with the premise of Andrew's remark that the Supercharger Network will be used as a competitive advantage over other EVs.

I believe it is a competitive advantage because it presents a real dilemma to the other manufacturers - either attempt to build out their own (inferior) long distance charging infrastructure or help Tesla further its network by joining up with them. This should spark endless debates inside the big car companies.

I believe it is a competitive advantage because it presents a real dilemma to the other manufacturers - either attempt to build out their own (inferior) long distance charging infrastructure or help Tesla further its network by joining up with them. This should spark endless debates inside the big car companies.

Exactly. I expect the Supercharger network will remain a competitive advantage for Tesla. Even though Tesla's terms for use of the supercharger network may be reasonable, I doubt any existing automaker will take then up on it. They are simply overly proud of themselves.

Although Daimler did see promise in Tesla early on, and they invested in Tesla when Tesla desperately needed it and Daimler was very low on cash themselves. If they ever decide to add DC fast charging to the B-class (and how could they not do this?), perhaps they will consider the Tesla Superchargers instead of the CCS standard.

GSP

Last edited:
Mercedes B-Class Electric (TESLA drivetrain)

Agreed, Tesla is not out to kill the 3 series provided the car meets the minium requirements of entry to the Supercharger Network.

Larry

That's not exactly how I intended it. As a buyer, if I compare two EVs one with supercharging and one without, with all other things equal, I would pick the supercharger capable vehicle even at a substantial premium.

Until other manufacturers broker a deal with Tesla or deploy their own network, in my mind Tesla is vastly superior.

From what I can tell everything about Teslas charging setup (excluding supercharging to level the field) is vastly superior to the multi-plug setup others use.

Adopting Tesla charging would make one car significantly more attractive to another to me.

For example, I like the Mercedes a fair amount more than the VW. But if the VW had Tesla charging that would completely tip the scale.

Even WITHOUT sc access I'd want Tesla charging...

Last edited: