Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to purchase a soft top?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I finally took the plunge and purchased #265! I should have it in a few weeks. I have no idea how some of you waited YEARS.

#265 has no soft top, only the hard top. Where is the best place to start looking for a soft top? Are there model years of Elise tops that fit? Should I just call Tesla?

Thanks!

In case someone else is looking in the future... You can just call your closest Service Center and they can order a soft top. It takes about a month and costs just over $1K. I couldn't find a better deal with shipping on the internet at today's exchange rates. The local Lotus dealer wanted about the same and estimated 6 weeks.

I can't imagine not liking the soft top. Is there a market for used hard tops? Is there a compelling reason to keep the hard top?

@ecarfan - I'll post pictures as soon as I have a chance to wash it. I just took delivery on Monday afternoon and have been driving the heck out of it rather than washing it. It was loaded on the truck in a rain storm, so it was quite dirty. And the interior has a "film" over everything. I'm not sure what that is -- maybe residue from a cleaning product? The previous owner had it "detailed" once per month, but his definition and mine differ. I suspect he took it to the local quick hand wash shop.

I have so much to learn.

I just had a new CF hard top (that I purchased used back in the spring) put on the car today...very nice, the cockpit is both warmer & quieter).

The Ranger also delivered a new soft top that I had ordered a long time ago...(certainly took longer than a month)...hope my wait time was just a one-off!...

In case someone else is looking in the future... You can just call your closest Service Center and they can order a soft top. It takes about a month and costs just over $1K. I couldn't find a better deal with shipping on the internet at today's exchange rates. The local Lotus dealer wanted about the same and estimated 6 weeks.

I can't imagine not liking the soft top. Is there a market for used hard tops? Is there a compelling reason to keep the hard top?

@ecarfan - I'll post pictures as soon as I have a chance to wash it. I just took delivery on Monday afternoon and have been driving the heck out of it rather than washing it. It was loaded on the truck in a rain storm, so it was quite dirty. And the interior has a "film" over everything. I'm not sure what that is -- maybe residue from a cleaning product? The previous owner had it "detailed" once per month, but his definition and mine differ. I suspect he took it to the local quick hand wash shop.

I have so much to learn.

Yes, the hardtop definitely is warmer and quieter - I'm sure you appreciate it since you routinely drive your Roadster in winter.

I find since getting the Model S that the Roadster tends to go out on nice days when I don't need the roof. As a result I barely used the soft top this summer, never mind the hard top!

@Jaff, Yes I'll be driving in the winter unless it's going to snow. The thing about Colorado is that we can have snow one week, then next week have convertible weather. That's why I don't think I'll use the hard top at all.