Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to see and test drive a model S for the first time today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I'm very excited this morning, as today is the day for me! I am finally going to get to see and drive a Tesla Model S. My P85D is likely to start production any day now, but as of this minute I've never even seen a Model S in real life, (as far as I know,) except for having passed one on a highway about three weeks ago, when I got a glimpse of one for a few seconds. My wife actually encountered one charging in her parking garage at work a few days later and sent me photos of it, so she has been able to walk around one! For most people the highlight of their Thanksgiving weekend was probably the turkey and the Thanksgiving celebration. For me it's going to be today, and the Tesla Model S!

Enjoy your time there, both learning about the car before you drive it, and doing the test drive.
You will never forget this Thanksgiving weekend.
Since you have already ordered your car, some of the features on your car will NOT be on your test car.
So, when you take delivery of your car, you will get a second day in "class" to learn about those features too.

I'm very excited this morning, as today is the day for me! I am finally going to get to see and drive a Tesla Model S. My P85D is likely to start production any day now, but as of this minute I've never even seen a Model S in real life, (as far as I know,) except for having passed one on a highway about three weeks ago, when I got a glimpse of one for a few seconds. My wife actually encountered one charging in her parking garage at work a few days later and sent me photos of it, so she has been able to walk around one! For most people the highlight of their Thanksgiving weekend was probably the turkey and the Thanksgiving celebration. For me it's going to be today, and the Tesla Model S!

Thanksgiving was a good day. We were at a restaurant, sitting next to the table with (no less) the owner and his daughter and son-in-law, a Jet Blue pilot. Mentioned Tesla. Yeah, mine was outside. Had they ever driven one? So for the next hour it was Tesla Time. Quite sure the owner's daughter and her pilot husband will be ordering soon. The pilot left his food on the table and ran out to drive the car. Then when done, he said, "Well, back to driving plain old Jets." His wife was worried about battery depletion if hubby left the car at the airport for two weeks while he was flying. "Honey, you ain't gonna leave this at the airport. He'll drive the clunker, and you'll get the Tesla." It was a fun Thanksgiving.

I would love to hear what your honest reaction is to the interior, and how the car overall feels and fits you. Give us report when you come up for air.

Well? What fun, reliving that initial excitement through the "newbies"! Although I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow so I get to drive my Tesla. My better half bought a new Camaro convertible last Monday, and the weather has been incredible so... I've been having him chauffer ME around for a change.

Please let us know how your test drive was!

Enjoy your time there, both learning about the car before you drive it, and doing the test drive.
You will never forget this Thanksgiving weekend.
Since you have already ordered your car, some of the features on your car will NOT be on your test car.
So, when you take delivery of your car, you will get a second day in "class" to learn about those features too.

I actually am going to have my car delivered by truck, so will have to learn about the other features here, from the people that get their cars before me. I think that'll be OK because I basically knew pretty much what to expect today based on all I had read here. (I recognized the yellow regeneration limitation line and confirmed that that's what it was before the Tesla rep mentioned it. I'm not sure he was even going to.)

I do still have another test drive scheduled for a couple of weeks from now, in another location, because I had scheduled that trip first, and this one was kind of last minute. There's a chance that that location could have a P85D by then. If they do, I'll ask if they can go over stuff with me as if it were my delivery appointment, since I won't be having one, or as close as they can reasonably come to that.

I would love to hear what your honest reaction is to the interior, and how the car overall feels and fits you. Give us report when you come up for air.

Well? What fun, reliving that initial excitement through the "newbies"! Although I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow so I get to drive my Tesla. My better half bought a new Camaro convertible last Monday, and the weather has been incredible so... I've been having him chauffer ME around for a change.

Please let us know how your test drive was!

Basically just got home, as the test drive was in Natick, Massachusetts, and we hit traffic on the way home.

I was definitely impressed.

I was nervous about whether or not I'd easily be able to pick up this "one-pedal" stuff, but as it turned out, it wasn't much of an issue. If anything, I wound up rolling through a couple of stop signs at first, in an attempt not to use the brake pedal at all, but I think that was largely due to the fact that we had creep mode on. If I do wind up taking another test drive in two weeks, I'll see if we can turn creep mode off and try things that way.

I was driving a P85+. I didn't get to play around too much with hard accelerating, but I did try a couple. One was getting onto the Mass Pike. I guess by the time I had some room in front of me I may have already been going 40 or 50...I'm not certain. I was looking for a chance to really test the acceleration, but there were a lot of cars around, and I had to merge with the traffic. When I finally did hit the Go pedal, the car absolutely took off, but not for long, and I looked down and saw 81 on the speedometer. I basically would have backed off at about that point anyway, as I was approaching other cars, and, obviously, going pretty fast, but I was also surprised that I felt like the car had kind of cut out. The Tesla rep quickly told me that the test drive cars were set to limit the speed to 80 MPH. That made me feel better. I think if you had asked me how fast I thought we were going I probably would have guessed 70.

The only other time I accelerated in any meaningful way was when we were going to get off the highway. The rep said we were going to exit in about a mile. I got into the right lane, and with about half a mile to go decided to change lanes and pass someone, and then change back to exit. I wanted to see how easily I could pass, knowing that it would be easy. My wife, who likes to get ready to exit miles before she needs to, basically asked me what the hell I was doing. I considered doing it again, but thought better of it. I have no doubt the Tesla could have handled it easily.

I had been concerned about whether or not the arm rest would be comfortable or not, and while I forgot to explicitly pay attention to it, I did not notice any issue. I'll have to remember to specifically check if I do get another test drive in two weeks.

I didn't mess much with the controls on the display, as I wanted to focus on driving and not crashing Tesla's Tesla. I did notice the pretty limited view through the rear window, but of course there's the rear-view camera to make up for that.

My wife drove the Tesla too, as I didn't want her first driving experience to be with our Model S. She did fine as well, and enjoyed it.

I had not realized that any of the new autopilot-related features were functional yet. The car can currently read speed limit signs and warn you if you are over the limit or any limit above the limit that you set. It also can currently warn you if you are deviating from your lane without indicating a lane change. (It vibrates the steering wheel.) I've read a lot on these forums, and I don't think I've seen that mentioned. Perhaps most importantly, the rep said that in two weeks there would be a software update that will allow for adaptive cruise control. (I'm actually going to start a new thread about this.) So that was exciting.

All in all, it was a very positive experience, and I am even more excited about getting my P85D!

Great report, Andy. Thanks. Glad that your wife and you enjoyed it.

Interesting to hear that a firmware update with working ACC is right around the corner. It's conceivable that the P85Ds coming off the line might have that firmware version already (as has happened before where new cars from the factory come with fresh firmware well before it's pushed OTA to older cars).

Great report, Andy. Thanks. Glad that your wife and you enjoyed it.

Interesting to hear that a firmware update with working ACC is right around the corner. It's conceivable that the P85Ds coming off the line might have that firmware version already (as has happened before where new cars from the factory come with fresh firmware well before it's pushed OTA to older cars).

Funny you should bring that up. In the thread I started on this specifically, located here: Adaptive Cruise Control By December 15, 2014, as per Tesla Test Drive Rep

I ask about whether or not cars coming off the line typically get new software first, since the first P85Ds are due to be delivered this week. I'm thinking perhaps it is known that they are coming with that software installed, which is why the test drive rep was comfortable saying "two weeks" until the update. On the other hand, if he knew that new cars were coming off the line with the new software, why not just tell me, "your car will have this?" So who knows!