Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Xtreme dual 470hp motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oneday

Nov 29, 2014
Bay Area
Greetings from a new member!

Anybody care to speculate on the motors for the performance Model X?

Will it have the same motors as the S-p85d? Does anyone think there is the possibility they use the 470hp motor on both the front and rear axles? Or would that be too insane?

Also I believe there will be a 100kw or more battery option available, which would increase hp as I understand on any configuration. Is there any doubts on this larger battery option?

Thoughts?

Why do you believe there will be a larger battery, other than the fact that everyone is hoping there will be? Tesla hasn't said anything to indicate that, to the best of my knowledge ... so that would lend some doubt to that.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great as an option, but I'd hate to see everyone disappointed because we got ourselves convinced it was coming based on telling each other it was coming. ... Not like that has ever happened before. :)

Also I believe there will be a 100kw or more battery option available, which would increase hp as I understand on any configuration. Is there any doubts on this larger battery option?

And you believe that because...you want to? There is no evidence that Tesla will offer a larger battery a year from now than they are currently offering. With the expanding Supercharger network the 85kW battery meets the needs of the vast majority of buyers and Tesla still cannot make cars fast enough to meet demand. The demand for the X will likely vastly exceed production capabilities. Offering larger capacity batteries would mean a smaller number of batteries will be available to Tesla overall and therefore fewer cars will be built overall. So Tesla is unlikely to offer bigger batteries in the near future unless Panasonic is able to produce higher voltage cells than Tesla currently uses.

The Gigafactory will change the battery availability situation particularly if it produces cells with a higher voltage than is currently offered. If that happens then Tesla may well offer an optional higher kW battery for its cars.

Last edited:
Furthermore, where is it that you would have Tesla emplace that larger front-axle motor? I believe the earlier frunk's so-called microwave cuddy has been completely used up - and more so - by the currently-revealed smaller front motor.

Is there really​ a market for an "even more insane" handling? Hmmm...

I apologize and good point. I have nothing to base that belief on. It is pure speculation. The purpose of my post was to see what other members thought might appear on the model x, prior to official announcement.

As a new member, perhaps that is not the purpose of this forum.

I would speculate that they would have a larger battery option because of the increased drag and weight of the X and the option to tow.

Has there been any official indication that you can tow with the X?

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't aware that there wasn't enough space for a larger front motor.

Good point on the supply constraints a larger battery would pose.

I do think that the 85kw battery in a larger vehicle designed for a more sport oriented use might be somewhat lacking even considering the supercharger network.

I apologize and good point. I have nothing to base that belief on. It is pure speculation. The purpose of my post was to see what other members thought might appear on the model x, prior to official announcement.

As a new member, perhaps that is not the purpose of this forum.

I would speculate that they would have a larger battery option because of the increased drag and weight of the X and the option to tow.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't aware that there wasn't enough space for a larger front motor.

Good point on the supply constraints a larger battery would pose.

I do think that the 85kw battery in a larger vehicle designed for a more sport oriented use might be somewhat lacking even considering the supercharger network.

I believe Elon is on record a few times saying that the Model X will be the first EV you can tow with. We've been told that Tesla expects the efficiency of the dual motor drivetrain to more or less offset the impacts of the higher weight and taller profile on range, though that remains to be seen.
Walter

My truck gets about 50% it's mpg when towing our boat from our cabin to the lake. This also includes about 5000 feet of elevation change. I am curious as to how towing will affect the range of the X. This route is only 120 miles round trip. The 85kw battery should make it.

- - - Updated - - -

The regenerative braking will be quite nice when coming back down the mountain. I probably won't smell brakes when I get to the bottom either.

An email sent to Model X reservation holders on 11/18 confirmed towing capability.

We can also reveal that Model X will be the first electric vehicle with towing capability. The optional tow hitch will support accessories and racks to transport skis and bikes with the minimum effect on aerodynamics. We're also working with the best rack and accessory companies in the world to have elegant carrying solutions ready for Model X customers next year.

Well that doesn't sound like it will tow a boat. Am I reading that wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it doesn't exclude it either...

How heavy is your boat+trailer? Temper your expectations with the fact that this is a crossover and with an aluminum chassis at that. The best a crossover has done is 7400 lbs (Durango with V8), but a vast majority can only tow about 3500 lbs, with many even under 1500 lbs.

Well that doesn't sound like it will tow a boat. Am I reading that wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it doesn't exclude it either...

There's only one way to get a real, definitive answer. It doesn't even involve much effort on your part. All you have to do is wait a few months, and come back here after Tesla announces the actual production car.

At that point, they'll have lots of information on their website, and if it somehow isn't clear, I'm sure we'll have experts here who will be glad to clarify. Right now, the few people who know anything are under NDAs that would cost them a lot to break, so all we have is speculation and a few tidbits dropped by Tesla PR people.

I don't know why you're expecting a definitive answer at this stage, when we haven't even seen the production version of the car yet. :)
Walter

Touché

I did however receive some interesting information from the post. ie the lack of space for a larger front motor and the issue of the supply constraint for making a larger battery at this point.

Cheers

I actually do not really agree with the lack space for the larger front motor to be used in an extreem version of the X. the X has a much deeper frunk and looking at the design of the two different motors, as shown on the x-ray diagrams on the model S site, the main difference seems to be hight. so they could probably make it fit quite nicely into the old 'microwave' cubby. however, will there really be a need....... who knows. :)

update

also I remember from the reveal that the microwave cubby was already gone from the first prototype so who knows what they have in there.

Furthermore, where is it that you would have Tesla emplace that larger front-axle motor? I believe the earlier frunk's so-called microwave cuddy has been completely used up - and more so - by the currently-revealed smaller front motor.

Is there really​ a market for an "even more insane" handling? Hmmm...

ST | 691
This model is the ultimate in all-electric performance and provides a unique track capablethrottle response, acceleration, and torque management efficiency worthy of any world-classSupercar. When configured with the Saleen specific features and optional drive ratios, the691HP all-wheel drive dual motor configuration is expected to accelerate at a seat planting 0-60MPH in under 3 seconds.

2,8-2,9 with my calculations since Motortrend had 3,1 on their clocks.....ZERO EMISSION HYPERCAR....with abbility to seat seven....I start to chuckle just by the thought of the board meetings nowadays in Maranello.....Musk rubbing nose of Ferrari branding..ho ho ho....

the x will be an SUV coupe. So i'd really really temper your expectations on towing. And that's just concerning power - to that, you have to add the impact on range. It's not meant to compete with the F series or Ram.

Anyways, we'll find out in a few months.

The model x drunk area is taller than model s... Depending on how the jigsaw puzzle works that might help fit a larger motor. However I'm not sure that the motor is often the limiting factor on the p85d.
Using higher capacity cells might not be too much of a stretch, or possibly with the extra height of the x it could be twice as thick in some areas.
The x isn't guaranteed to have these, but it isn't inconceivable.

Some speculation here on this thread, but interesting. Here's a fact: Two summers ago I towed an flatbed trailer (with an electric car on it) from FL to Missouri and back. The weight was about 3500 lbs and the trailer/car was not real aerodynamic. Our tow vehicle, a 4500 lb Hybrid SUV normally gets 30 MPG. With towing we got an average of 24. The car has good instrumentation and we kept good records. That's only a 20-25% decrease in range/fuel economy. Perhaps that is what you can expect with the Model X.

Don't get caught comparing apples to oranges. An EV is inherently much more efficient than a gas car, so what people perceive as marginal hits to the gas mileage in their ICE vehicles (lower temperature, higher speed/headwinds, water/snow on the roadways, towing, etc.) will appear as much larger losses in an EV. That 20-25 percent drop in gas mileage you experienced when towing could easily be 40-50 percent in the X, everything else being equal.