Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical Home Charge Rate

Default Home Charge Rate

• <=10 amps (~2.5kW)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 20 amps (~5kW)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • 30 amps (~7.5kW)

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • 40 amps (~10kW)

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • 50 amps (~12.5kW)

• 60 amps (~15kW)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 70 amps (~17.5kW)

• 80 amps (~20kW)

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • I let my utility decide via software

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got dual chargers but I scale mine back to 20amps to reduce line losses...
I've got dual chargers but I scale mine back to 20amps to reduce line losses...
Curious about that and whether there is an "optimal" amperage for charging. I primarily charge from a NEMA 14-50 outlet and have been using the default 40A setting to minimize charging time. Recently I've been experimenting with dialing it back as the UMC cable gets quite warm while drawing 40A continuously (something I'm sure everyone else has discovered). Using 32A or less seems to solve that problem. So, assuming there is plenty of time overnight, is 20A going to be more efficient than 30A in terms of minimizing both energy draw and energy loss? The UMC manual says that the outlet must be rated for at least 15A, so that's probably the lower bound, but I always thought that was supposed to be much less efficient than a higher setting.

Curious about that and whether there is an "optimal" amperage for charging. I primarily charge from a NEMA 14-50 outlet and have been using the default 40A setting to minimize charging time. Recently I've been experimenting with dialing it back as the UMC cable gets quite warm while drawing 40A continuously (something I'm sure everyone else has discovered). Using 32A or less seems to solve that problem. So, assuming there is plenty of time overnight, is 20A going to be more efficient than 30A in terms of minimizing both energy draw and energy loss? The UMC manual says that the outlet must be rated for at least 15A, so that's probably the lower bound, but I always thought that was supposed to be much less efficient than a higher setting.

The lower bound is 5 amps... electrically lower is ALWAYS more efficient; I'm not sure about the chargers themselves... there might be a 'sweet spot' where 20 amps is more efficient than 10. Line losses are Current² x Wire resistance; so the amount of energy lost to heat increases exponentially with higher current. You loose 4x as much energy at 80 amps that you loose at 20 amps.

I've also heard rumors that certain charge levels are better for the battery than others but that's likely temperature dependent and I've never seen anything 'official'.

Is that really more efficient? I thought charging at a higher rate lost less. Also, slower charging means running the battery cooling longer, etc.

Lower can also mean you don't run the battery cooling AT ALL... as far as I'm aware battery cooling only runs when its needed. I could be wrong... the pump might circulate coolant continuously but the fans certainly don't run when I charge @ 20 amps unless its REALLY hot outside.

The lower bound is 5 amps... electrically lower is ALWAYS more efficient; I'm not sure about the chargers themselves... there might be a 'sweet spot' where 20 amps is more efficient than 10. Line losses are Current² x Wire resistance; so the amount of energy lost to heat increases exponentially with higher current. You loose 4x as much energy at 80 amps that you loose at 20 amps.

I've also heard rumors that certain charge levels are better for the battery than others but that's likely temperature dependent and I've never seen anything 'official'.

Lower can also mean you don't run the battery cooling AT ALL... as far as I'm aware battery cooling only runs when its needed. I could be wrong... the pump might circulate coolant continuously but the fans certainly don't run when I charge @ 20 amps unless its REALLY hot outside.
Would love to see this data on the S! It exists for the Roadster and the results were...

...there's not much variation in charging efficiency when charging at or above 240V at 32A, but energy use rises noticeably at lower power levels.

Tesla Roadster Charging Rates and Efficiency - Tom Saxton's Blog

Would love to see this data on the S! It exists for the Roadster and the results were...

Tesla Roadster Charging Rates and Efficiency - Tom Saxton's Blog

Yeah... I suspect there's a sweet spot... a rectifier and inverter operate in a very similar way and inverter efficiency curves look like this;

solar-inverter-peak-efficiency1.jpg

That's another reason I picked 20 amps vs 10 or 5... I wonder if Tesla is listening... wouldn't be the first time I got a call from customer service in regards to a post :smile:

Put in 30, but actually I charge at 33. Even an 33, once in a while the city electricity causes it to go back to 30. This is a problem in this area, not with my house. If I charged at 40 it would jump down to 30 50% of the time rather than once or twice per month.

There are probably sweet spots for each type of connection equipment... (Must be a resistance difference between, say, 40A thru a UMC and 40A thru a HPWC)
Leads me to ask, a bit OT, but is there a premium brand of NEMA 14-50 outlet with superior contacts? That connection is a factor we can do something about.