Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alpine Carplay ilx-007 is available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like the Alpine Carplay is available.

I really want to get rid of the stock system and upgrade to this.

here is the link to Alpine's website.
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

and their page with the Owner's Manual.
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I'm trying to see if the unit is plug and play. That is directly swappable to the stock unit including the reverse camera.
Can anyone tell on the documentation or have a link to our stock unit so I can compare?

If this works, maybe markwj can get OVMS working on it?!?!?! :)

hmm looks like our camera is a Alpine 5 wire custom (HCE-C107D) per markwj install for the parrot unit.
per the ilx-007 manual, If an HCE-C305R/HCE-C200R/HCE-C300R/HCE-C105 camera is connected, when the vehicle is reversed, the rear camera view (guide marks for vehicle width and available distance) is displayed automatically on the screen of this unit.

so no grid lines

- - - Updated - - -

I think I might tackle this as I don't use Sat anymore.

I've been searching on the forum and it isn't clear. How do you remove the stereo?

remove the CF surround that surrounds the unit? Does it just pry off?

once off, do I need those alpine tools to remove it?

I've been searching on the forum and it isn't clear. How do you remove the stereo?

remove the CF surround that surrounds the unit? Does it just pry off?

once off, do I need those alpine tools to remove it?

It's fairly simple to remove (2.5). Yes, pry off the surround being careful not to lose the four clips (one at about each corner) because they can fall down into the dash. It sort of "pops" off but, be careful. The alpine tools work but I was able to use a generic panasonic set a tools from the local auto stereo shop. The wires in the back are fairly easy to mark and reinsert. Your Alpine manual has the connection descriptions in it (toward the back of the manual).

Just go slowly and be careful.

IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG

Last edited:
It's fairly simple to remove (2.5). Yes, pry off the surround being careful not to lose the four clips (one at about each corner) because they can fall down into the dash. It sort of "pops" off but, be careful. The alpine tools work but I was able to use a generic panasonic set a tools from the local auto stereo shop. The wires in the back are fairly easy to mark and reinsert. Your Alpine manual has the connection descriptions in it (toward the back of the manual).

Just go slowly and be careful.

Thank you for the pictures! Super helpful!

does the screen have to be open to remove the Alpine unit?

thanks for all the pointers...one last thing I am trying to figure out is how to place my iPhone6. It's a bit big to fit in that cubby.

Also, it wasn't clear if I could still use a bluetooth earpiece with Carplay. While using the speakers and microphone are great, in the Roadster with the wind noise, not so much...

thanks for all the pointers...one last thing I am trying to figure out is how to place my iPhone6. It's a bit big to fit in that cubby.

Also, it wasn't clear if I could still use a bluetooth earpiece with Carplay. While using the speakers and microphone are great, in the Roadster with the wind noise, not so much...

It's not elegant but I simply plug it in and turn it upside down and rest it in the cup holder. I used to have a ProClip holder that I stuck right above the parking break with double sided tape for the same purpose but the iPhone 6 doesn't fit anymore and didn't want to spend another $60 for a new holder.

This is my inexpensive fix to mount my iPhone 6. I'm very happy with it:

Cupholder and iPhone Mount for Roadster - Page 3

well, I was hoping I could install it this weekend but it was a no go from me.

Removing the stock radio and CF surround was easy enough. I was hoping the wiring would be pretty similar from the stock Alpine to this one and I could just plug and play and figure something out for the rear camera if the plugs didn't match. Well it looks like the wiring is a bit different even though the plug size is the same.

I couldn't tell for sure but the reverse sensor wire is separate off the loom versus on it in the ILX. Also the reverse cam plug is different that the plug in the ILX

It looks like a super simple job as the radio, sat etc are not used. I just need to know what the stock wires are and where to get the alpine camera adapter that I think I saw mentioned in another thread.

If not then I will send it to a stereo install place.

I did look in my manual but don't see any Alpine manuals that show the wiring.

If someone has it or can point me in the right direction would be great! Also if someone has an idea for the camera adapter/wiring would also be helpful!

Thanks.

thank you to the forum member to link me to the stock Alpine wiring! It looks like all the colors of the wire are the same. I just need to see if they go in the same spot. When I looked at the harness it didn't. If it is, than this is a simple plug and play!

Also, on the wiring it had what looked like the mic cable to the iPod connection. Where is the mic located in our roadster?

Still need the adapter for the camera though!

well I got it to work! kinda. Super fast interface and siri recognized what I wanted to say (though stationary with no car noise).

Coming from the stock Alpine to the ILX, the harness is almost 100% compatible. There is one wire to cut, and one to splice in. Super easy. But some issues.

1. Harness largely matches have to cut wire 3 and splice the reverse wire to wire 2 (will illustrate better later).
2. need that damn HCE-C115 Alpine camera that has the box to convert the signal to coaxial which the ILX has for the reverse cam.
3. no radio signal? The stock system didn't have anything plugged into the big antenna cable and I didn't plug anything into the similar ILX, but I can't get the radio to pick up any stations, ideas?
4. after looking at the forum and the wiring, it looks like the USB cable is used for HD radio functions? and is split. Also looking at the mic wiring it's off the same USB. The ILX uses a separate mic input which I tested and worked great. Unfortunately, it means running wire.
5. Finally, WTH Alpine! I thought the ILX would just slide in and mount like the stock unit. Figured everything was the same!!! But NOPE. Looks like I need to secure it somehow.

any suggestions or pointers for the above let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

when I had it plugged in, I had it read my email, play my VM, play and reply to text and listen to my iTunes radio and music on my iphone6

all worked great and FAST.

so far so good!