Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120 volt 15 amp extension cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should be getting my Model S in early December!

While I'll do most of my charging at home or at Superchargers, I often park at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. One of the parking facilities has standard household 120 VAC 15 amp outlets available for electric vehicles.

I know the charging rate is slow, but if the car is plugged in for 3-4 days while I'm on a trip, it'll be fully charged when I get back, thus eliminating a Supercharger stop on the way to Tucson or Flagstaff.

I believe the car comes with an adapter to fit the UMC to a household outlet. I have not yet parked at this parking company location, so I don't know how far the outlet is fro the parking stall, so I don't know if I'll need an extension cord.

If I do, what gauge should the extension cord be? I doubt it would need to be more than 15" feet long.

Are there any other issues I need to be aware of?

Get a 10 Gauge. The sustained current over a distance, the voltage can drop. Using 10 Gauge (Not very expensive, maybe 25% more then a 12 or 14 gauge) will virtually eliminate the voltage drop for the currents being used. And most 10 gauge cords are 20 amp, so if you have the 20 amp adapter and the outlet is a 20 amp (common with commercial installations), you would charge 33% faster.

You'll find that you can only find low gauge cords in the longer lengths. So you'll be hard pressed to find a 15' 12 gauge cord. For am airport plug I wouldn't feel good about using an extension cord. Find a spot within 20' and just use the included umc.

One can get a 15' or even 50' 12 gauge cord. You likely need to look hard as they are not common but they are available. I got a nice 15' and 50' from Lowe's and have an old 40' that is 12 gauge and all work fine. One day for and Earth day event I put two 12 gauge cords together as I needed 90'. I charged for 6 hours with NO issues. And this is with my Roadster which charges at 15 amps not the 12 I am told with the Model S. They are good quality cords and always travel with the 15' in the back of the car.

I agree with all previous posters. However, I deploy a 5-20 terminated 12AWG for 25 - 50' and a 5-20 terminated "Yellowjacket" 10AWG for 100'.

Might the airport receptacle actually be a NEMA 5-20 (identified by a sideways "T" neutral)?

Also, I would definitely procure all additional Tesla UMC adapters.

If you are not familiar with effective and SAFE extension cord charging, you may consider having TonyWilliams of QuickChargePower build you a very slick 50' UMC that takes the guesswork out of the equation.

Quick Charge Power

If you are not familiar with effective and SAFE extension cord charging, you may consider having TonyWilliams of QuickChargePower build you a very slick 50' UMC that takes the guesswork out of the equation.

Quick Charge Power

Sounds like a cool idea, but when I went to that site, I didn't see a 50' tesla UMC for sale.

And yes, do buy the Tesla NEMA 5-20 adapter. Commercial locations are likely to have 20 amp receptacles...

Last edited:
I have a 15' 15A cord which I believe is a 12g I got from Home Depot. I use it pretty regularly on road trips, including a few occasions at RDU airport. It's sometimes difficult to fit the adapter into an outlet that has a flip up cover and the extension cord helps with this. I routinely get 3 miles/hr, rare occasions 4 with the cord.

BTW it's a good idea to call the airport parking people and confirm that it's OK to charge on their outlets.

Reactions: vrykolas
You definitely want a 12AWG cord if you're going to be doing any real charging... and keep it as short as you can manage. The cord is basically a big resistor that saps energy... although once you get up to 12AWG the drop off is not that big a deal. Finding 10AWG cords isn't all that easy and the incremental difference is pretty small.

If you're interested in the numbers: Voltage drop calculator

But you definitely do NOT want to do what I originally did, which is buy a 50 foot, 16AWG cord and plug in with that... you end up dropping so much voltage in that long, thin wire that the car often stops charging -- thinking there's a problem with the circuit.

I bought the Polar Solar 10G 25' cord linked in post 8. Seems to work well so far.

That will certainly work, but may be overkill. Thinner wires weigh less, and take less storage space.

It all has to do with the length of the extension cord. At 25 feet, 14AWG is fine, at 50 feet, you want at least 12AWG, and at 100 feet, you want 10AWG. A thicker wire than these guidelines will always work. Also, remember that daisy chaining extension cords can add resistance in the connections.

That will certainly work, but may be overkill. Thinner wires weigh less, and take less storage space.

It all has to do with the length of the extension cord. At 25 feet, 14AWG is fine, at 50 feet, you want at least 12AWG, and at 100 feet, you want 10AWG. A thicker wire than these guidelines will always work. Also, remember that daisy chaining extension cords can add resistance in the connections.

Remember also that you need to add in the length of the wire from the breaker to the plug. If you have a 50 foot 14awg cord and and 75 foot #14 wire to the plug, it may not be enough! Bigger is better if you don't mind carrying it.