Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Wants to Eliminate all Buttons in its Interiors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the writer of that article didn't even mention that the Model S has already eliminated practically all physical buttons/knobs.

Those that remain seem unlikely to be replaced any time soon with touchscreen controls, and I don't want them to be.

yes the Model S has plenty of buttons and physical controls. They are awesome. There are 4 for each window, one to lock back windows. A bunch to adjust the mirrors, there are multi control buttons to adjust the seats, the steering wheel has buttons and scroll wheels, the stalks for cruise control and indicator and wipers and high beams. Also gear selection and parking brake. Physical buttons that are used frequently and can be used without the need to look at them make a lot of sense. As cool as the touch screen is, some of the controls are just annoying to get to going through menus and different screens. Best example is opening the trunk. I really wish it had it's own dedicated physical button.

yes the Model S has plenty of buttons and physical controls. They are awesome.

I agree the S has "plenty" of physical controls that work well and are needed. But compared to other cars in its class such as the Porsche Panamera it has far fewer physical controls, perhaps 90% less.

I think the S goes about as far as it is logical to go with reducing the number of physical controls.

I have no problem with the touchscreen trunk control, it's two taps to do it. Unless of course you use the fob but that isn't as convenient in my opinion when I'm sitting in the car.

I think it's about time, regardless of what Tesla has done. The sheer amount of buttons and separate control systems on cars has just gotten out of hand. I had a Mercedes GLK for an afternoon and everywhere you looked was buttons... was a bit freaked out by it actually. It really takes a while to learn what and where each button is on a car--there is a lot there. This should be interesting to watch unfold.

-m

Audi's goals are much less ambitious. Read the whole quote:
the Prologue also hints at Audi’s future goals for its infotainment systems that will eventually phase out all buttons and knobs in favor of an all-digital and touchscreen setup.
(emphasis added)
Implying that all the buttons/knobs/sliders for climate control, driving, fog lights, etc. will remain.