Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D/85 Is Often The Best Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously, the key word in my title is choice. Many of you will have made a different choice, and that is great.
I think the 85D/85 is, in many ways, the finest choice for many buyers.
But I would like to hear some of your thoughts about how the 85D (or 85 when you don't need AWD) is often the best choice.
Now there is no doubt that in the media and on this forum that the P85D (and the older choice of P85+) is the darling and king of the hill. But I would like this thread to go a different direction, that is, functionality with speed in a great EV.
The 85D is the longest range for all Teslas (295 mi on the TMC website).
The 85D is super-fast (if you don't believe that, drive one and stomp on the "gas").
The 85D is significantly less expensive than the P85D.
The 85D is significantly better than the 60 for range, and comes with SuperCharger access.
Tires last longer on the 85D than the P85D.
Let me say the two most important again: Costs significantly less than the P85D for nearly the same car and has the longest range.
Thoughts?

For those who want the "ultimate" EV and can afford it the P model is the obvious choice.

Otherwise it seems pointless to spend so much more for even faster acceleration and slightly higher top speed that can only be legally used in Germany.

If I was buying a Model S now I would definitely order the 85D and would leave off some of the non-essential options on my current S if that was the only way I could afford the extra $5K for the D option.

For those who want the "ultimate" EV and can afford it the P model is the obvious choice.

Otherwise it seems pointless to spend so much more for even faster acceleration and slightly higher top speed that can only be legally used in Germany.

Don't forget that for those of us who want sporty handling to match the straight line performance of their sport sedan, the P85D is a significant improvement over the regular 85, and even over the P+.

I think it depends on what you want from a car. If you're looking for a car to carve canyons with and race Cobras of the line, clearly the P85D is in a class of its own. If you want a large luxury sedan like an A8 or S-class, I think you're right that the 85D is easily the best choice.Myself, I'm more in the latter category - but I'm also waiting to see what the Model X turns out like...Walter

+1 I fully agree. The P85D gives bragging rights, but for me the extra range, lower operating cost and lower starting cost would trump. I had a standard 85 for a few days and while not quite the performance of the Roadster, for a full sized car the performance was MORE than adequate for EVERYONE who got a test ride.

I've owned some of the fastest production cars in the world, but over the years came to a realization. I could not even approach the design mission of these cars on the street. And often I was paying the penalty for that performance even though I could not utilize it, in terms of ride quality, fuel economy, maintenance costs, and comfort. I've since chosen the fully loaded 2nd tier performance models, ie the 550i instead of the M5. All the performance I can use, all the comfort and luxury I want. I pick up my fully loaded S85 in 2 weeks.

Until there is more behind the wheel experience on both it's just supposition.
One might take a test drive in a PD and decide quickly it's not worth the premium price, and order the 85D. Or on the other hand after a test drive you might start a separate savings account to save up for the P.

Until there is more behind the wheel experience on both it's just supposition.
One might take a test drive in a PD and decide quickly it's not worth the premium price, and order the 85D. Or on the other hand after a test drive you might start a separate savings account to save up for the P.

I am hoping that someone will get their D and not like it and off load it quickly for a good price.

On the one hand, I think the S85D represents the sweet spot in Tesla's lineup. On the other hand, I converted my S85D order to a P85D after stewing over it for three weeks. Life is full of tough decisions... :biggrin:

On the one hand, I think the S85D represents the sweet spot in Tesla's lineup. On the other hand, I converted my S85D order to a P85D after stewing over it for three weeks. Life is full of tough decisions... :biggrin:

I am in the same boat but having a hard time justifying the cost of the P85D.....I really want the next gen seats and with my luck as soon as I take a P85D they will start putting the next gen seats in any Model S for the up charge.

I am in the same boat but having a hard time justifying the cost of the P85D.....I really want the next gen seats and with my luck as soon as I take a P85D they will start putting the next gen seats in any Model S for the up charge.

My thoughts exactly.
The additional range would be great on the S85D, but I would really like to also get the next gen seats (without spending the extra cost for the P).

I'd recommend the "D" model of either the P or standard S.
- Better performance and handling on dry/wet/ice/snow
- Better efficiency/range
- Doesn't tear up your rear tires
Elon said in a recent interview that 70% of their cars will be "D" models once they get production ramped up.
If you have to have the absolute highest performance, get the P, otherwise the standard S is just fine. But, always get the D.

I'd recommend the "D" model of either the P or standard S.
- Better performance and handling on dry/wet/ice/snow
- Better efficiency/range
- Doesn't tear up your rear tires
Elon said in a recent interview that 70% of their cars will be "D" models once they get production ramped up.
If you have to have the absolute highest performance, get the P, otherwise the standard S is just fine. But, always get the D.
Do the math on what you are paying for that very few extra miles with the D. For most people it will make little difference. I have zero need for 20 extra miles and zero need for AWD here in Sunny central California. With an S model and 19s the tire issue is non existent also. For the 21s you're still going to be burning through tires either way.

I have to respectfully disagree. We wanted to have AWD so the regular 85 was not an option and the 85D would have offered us absolutely unremarkable acceleration compared to what we are used to. The 85D can merely keep up with a 5 series or E class and though that is not too bad it is nothing special. We test drove an S85 and while we were impressed with it, the acceleration was nothing special.

The current S class is 6/10 of a second faster than the 85D. So while the 85D delivers perfectly acceptable performance it was a no-brainer for us to pay the extra $20K and get the staggering performance of the P85D that matches the performance you'd get in a Lamborghini.

If not for the P85D being all electric we'd never be able to experience this level of performance in a premium car around $120K. Personally, I'd rather save up for an extra year and get a P85D than an 85D. And part of what we pay extra we will get back when we sell the car so really if we sell the car in about 3 years like we plan to we will get to experience the incredible performance for only about $10K more.

And for those saying they don't need the extra performance, nether do we and we don't plan to max out the performance on a regular basis but we sure are going to enjoy feeling that acceleration whenever we want to... :)

So I mispoke if it sounded like I, the original poster, had driven an 85D. I drove an 85. It was overwhelmingly fast. It is safe to assume it will be very similar in the 85D, at least in terms of speed with there being a .2 second difference in 0-60. It is very seldom that anyone floors the accelerator from 0 to 60. So for me, and most, I am asserting, the 85D is tremedous. The P85D would be even more thrilling, but used very little.

"but we sure are going to enjoy feeling that acceleration whenever we want to... "
This quote is from above in regard to P85/P85+/P85D, if I understand correctly.
I feel much the same about the 85/85D.
They are both very cool, fast cars, IMHO.

I have to respectfully disagree. We wanted to have AWD so the regular 85 was not an option and the 85D would have offered us absolutely unremarkable acceleration compared to what we are used to. The 85D can merely keep up with a 5 series or E class and though that is not too bad it is nothing special. We test drove an S85 and while we were impressed with it, the acceleration was nothing special.

The current S class is 6/10 of a second faster than the 85D. So while the 85D delivers perfectly acceptable performance it was a no-brainer for us to pay the extra $20K and get the staggering performance of the P85D that matches the performance you'd get in a Lamborghini.

If not for the P85D being all electric we'd never be able to experience this level of performance in a premium car around $120K. Personally, I'd rather save up for an extra year and get a P85D than an 85D. And part of what we pay extra we will get back when we sell the car so really if we sell the car in about 3 years like we plan to we will get to experience the incredible performance for only about $10K more.

And for those saying they don't need the extra performance, nether do we and we don't plan to max out the performance on a regular basis but we sure are going to enjoy feeling that acceleration whenever we want to... :)

Agree 100% on all points. Want to reiterate, the performance in a $120K package, just can't be beat! And to have a full sized "family sedan" that gets up and go at about the same speed as the world's fastest performance sports cars, is totally unreal. If you compare the cost of a similarly packaged S85 (i.e. tech, pano, air, sound, leather) to the P85D, you're talking a difference of say, $25K or so. For that $25K, you've jumped to supercar class, at an "economy" price. Remember SoCal folks, AWD is not just about driving on snowy roads, it's about having USEABLE power and not breaking traction. Having 690 ponies is rather pointless if when you step on the peddle, you make a lot of smoke and actually go nowhere.

Last edited: