Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Speculation regarding charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a good way to communicate with Tesla regarding the MX? Telephone, emial, telegraph, pony express, anything? I have some basic questions while awaiting my sig MX that seem answerable to me but can't find any way to communicate. I call the store and I know more than they do. I'd like to start working on chargers in a couple houses. I can't even get answers to that. Any ideas? Maybe their new communications director will solve that.

Has anyone found a good way to communicate with Tesla regarding the MX? Telephone, emial, telegraph, pony express, anything? I have some basic questions while awaiting my sig MX that seem answerable to me but can't find any way to communicate. I call the store and I know more than they do. I'd like to start working on chargers in a couple houses. I can't even get answers to that. Any ideas? Maybe their new communications director will solve that.

If you're looking for definitive answers regarding anything to do with design specs, you're probably not going to get anywhere until after they've publicly shown the production version of the Model X. I wouldn't even try for answers until then.

If you're wondering about wiring standards, I doubt there would be anything unique to Model X beyond what is true for Roadster, Model S, or any electric vehicle. So ask those questions here to start & people will suggest if there is something unique that should wait until the X is announced.

My two cents.

If you're buying the HPWC, I would wait until you get the car. Buying an HPWC from the online store as a standalone purchase gets you a one-year warranty. But buying a car with an HPWC gets you a four-year warranty on your entire purchase, including the HPWC. :)

Communications with Tesla regarding the Model X

Has anyone found a good way to communicate with Tesla regarding the MX? ... I'd like to start working on chargers in a couple houses. I can't even get answers to that.

If you want to know how the X will charge at your house, I am certain that the X charging requirements will be the same as the S. The X will be built on the S Dual Motor platform. The cars will share the same drivetrains, though some believe that the X will debut with higher capacity batteries.

Or maybe I am not correctly understanding your question...

I was doing some remodeling at my house which involved electrical and wanted to do the charger at the same time. I, along with others posting here, assumed that the charging would be the same and the S. Tesla, however, would not commit to that. Actually said they were not allowed to sell the current charger as an intended MX charger.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're buying the HPWC, I would wait until you get the car. Buying an HPWC from the online store as a standalone purchase gets you a one-year warranty. But buying a car with an HPWC gets you a four-year warranty on your entire purchase, including the HPWC. :)

Thanks. I had no idea the was a difference in the warranty.

....Actually said they were not allowed to sell the current charger as an intended MX charger....

Interesting. I would not have expected that.

I suggest going ahead and installing wiring for either 40 Amp charging (50 A breaker) or 80 Amp charging (100 A breaker). The charging rate you need depends only on the miles you drive per day, not the car. It takes exceptionally high daily milage to need more than 40 A, but 80 A can come in handy if you want to quickly do a range charge to top off the battery just before leaving. Also, 80 A is good for friends with Teslas that need to charge.

Wait until you order the car to get the HPWC (or whatever the X will use). It will be a snap to install with the wiring already in place.

I don't think there is a chance that the Model X will not be able to use either 40 or 80 A, 240 V, pre-wiring. But, I would also have expected today's HPWC to work fine with the X!

GSP

Maybe they'll put the charge port on the other side so people with both a Model S and X and take turns sharing the same outlet. That would be great news for me because my outlet is between the two garage doors. Perfect for my S, but an inconvenience for the X.

Actually said they were not allowed to sell the current charger as an intended MX charger.

Interesting. I would not have expected that.

I suggest going ahead and installing wiring for either 40 Amp charging (50 A breaker) or 80 Amp charging (100 A breaker). The charging rate you need depends only on the miles you drive per day, not the car. It takes exceptionally high daily milage to need more than 40 A, but 80 A can come in handy if you want to quickly do a range charge to top off the battery just before leaving. Also, 80 A is good for friends with Teslas that need to charge.

Wait until you order the car to get the HPWC (or whatever the X will use). It will be a snap to install with the wiring already in place.

I don't think there is a chance that the Model X will not be able to use either 40 or 80 A, 240 V, pre-wiring. But, I would also have expected today's HPWC to work fine with the X!

GSP

I'm sure it will be exactly the same. I'm also sure that they are not able to sell accessories for a vehicle that is not yet on the market or make commitments about something that is not out there.

If it wasn't exactly the same, they'd have a mess on their hands. Not a likely scenario.

Ditto. Tesla's destination charging program pretty much guarantees that the X will be able to utilize existing HPWCs.
One way to read into Tesla's comment is that there may be another option to the current HPWC that becomes available with the X - perhaps a higher performing HPWC. I agree that Tesla will almost certainly provide a way to use current HPWC's with the X, but it would be within their character to be improving offerings in this area.

One way to read into Tesla's comment is that there may be another option to the current HPWC that becomes available with the X - perhaps a higher performing HPWC. I agree that Tesla will almost certainly provide a way to use current HPWC's with the X, but it would be within their character to be improving offerings in this area.

Yes, if MX has different battery chemistry/options, perhaps it will be accept more power than the S battery. Maybe its larger size will allow for beefier (50-60A) charge units? Personally, I wouldn't mind a 2-hour top-up on my 110kWh battery...

Just have the electrical line ran to a box where you would want the charger to be. When we built our house, we had the electrician run a line to where we thought we would want another A/C unit to be, but not put it in at this time. He just dead-ended the electric line at a junction box on the exterior wall of the house - that way the line is there for when ever we would want to use it. Good Luck.