Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S center console plastic piece

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Tesla center consol installed a few days ago and there is a loose piece of plastic where the iPhone dock is, the service center says it is a cover for the charging dock. Cannot seem to figure out how it is supposed to be installed, any help would be appreciated.

Assuming this is the same as I received with my console several months ago, the small plastic piece is not a cover for the charging dock - it is a REPLACEMENT for the charging dock.

If you decide you don't want to use the iPhone or USB dock, you can disassemble that portion of the console (requires a screwdriver and only a few minutes), remove the iPhone/USB dock plastic piece and the USB charging cable, and install the blank plate to completely remove the smartphone charging feature.

What would be useful would be for Tesla to provide several of these pieces with each console and make them available in the Tesla store. The kit should include the blank plate, plate for the charging iPhone/USB phones without a case (which is what Tesla provides with the console), and a second iPhone/USB plate that has been adjusted to support charging in a typical phone case. Plus, because the dock assumes a specific form factor for the charging cable, the cables should probably also be included.

Buying the kit would provide support for a broader range of today's smartphones and eliminate the manual adjustment that are required now for when smartphones are being used with cases.

Assuming this is the same as I received with my console several months ago, the small plastic piece is not a cover for the charging dock - it is a REPLACEMENT for the charging dock.

If you decide you don't want to use the iPhone or USB dock, you can disassemble that portion of the console (requires a screwdriver and only a few minutes), remove the iPhone/USB dock plastic piece and the USB charging cable, and install the blank plate to completely remove the smartphone charging feature.

What would be useful would be for Tesla to provide several of these pieces with each console and make them available in the Tesla store. The kit should include the blank plate, plate for the charging iPhone/USB phones without a case (which is what Tesla provides with the console), and a second iPhone/USB plate that has been adjusted to support charging in a typical phone case. Plus, because the dock assumes a specific form factor for the charging cable, the cables should probably also be included.

Buying the kit would provide support for a broader range of today's smartphones and eliminate the manual adjustment that are required now for when smartphones are being used with cases.
Thanks, that makes more sense Tesla should give you some instructions with the consol.

How do you like the console? I have a Tesla being delivered in late December and originally ordered a console to go with it... but then cancelled the console order. Thought I'd try out the standard open environment first.

My original logic was that I think the cup holders in the standard config are awkward and the console improves on this...

How do you like the console? I have a Tesla being delivered in late December and originally ordered a console to go with it... but then cancelled the console order. Thought I'd try out the standard open environment first.

My original logic was that I think the cup holders in the standard config are awkward and the console improves on this...
Love the center consol, but originally thought I would like the openness of having nothing so I lived with it until the consol was available and decided did not like the stuff cluttering the carpet and also like that you now have real useable cup holders which I probably not use much but it is nice to hide everything. My only problem was that the stitching on the consol is white and the stitching in my car is black, I ended up dying the stitching to match.

No regrets in getting the console - and satisfied in my decision to take delivery early with the Piano Black cover in my CF interior and save the $200 - because I never see the PB cover anyway, since I always have that area open for my smartphone.