Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy to see we have an E pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our P85+ today at Fremont. While sitting at a charger this evening in Monterey, my son crawled under the car to see if we had a "D" pack and were suprized to see the P/N ended with an "E". Anyone know what has changed to roll the part number revision?

image.jpg

Hopefully they have also updated those pesky contactors that have clunked so many folks to a stop (not us, still with an A pack, fingers crossed).

Had a loaner this week with a D pack but VIN 45439 (sept build) and the contactors had a very different noise, so my guess is that there are using something new already for some time now.

Thanks for the report @rceldib and @Majerus

For reference, my car (VIN 55228) started production on the morning of the start of Q4 and has a D pack. My money is also on changes for dual motors.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Noticed the same thing on my S60 loaner last week. They're quieter.

Interesting...35k miles on an A pack, 2,500 miles on a D pack and I don't notice a significant difference in the contactor sound. I'll have to pay more attention, but if the sound is different it seems subtle to me.

We just got back from our Tesla factory trip picking up our new Model S with the E Pack. We charged at Gilroy, Atascadero, and Tejon Superchargers. Gilroy was pretty busy with I think six cars charging. We were floored to see 198 mph charge at 153A and 385V as our Rav4 EV charges so slowly.
We then charged at Monterey on. Tesla standard charger with 26 mph at 47A and 232V.
Took a picture of our door weight tag:
Tag date. 11/14
GVWR. 5710 lb
GAWR. 2723 lb
GAWR. 3131 lb
Then charged at Atascadero. I took a picture of the tag on the Supercharger white box that I thinks has a lerge battery set in it. The tag stated:
Input voltage. 200-480 VAC
Input current. 280A @ 200-240 VAC
3 Phases
Output voltage 50-410 VDC
Output current 210A MAX Continuous
Weight 1320 lbs

Okay, at Atascadero Supercharger:
Max charge rate was 381 mph at 314A and 368V. Wow that was fast. We were the only car charging and got on the charger closest to the power packs and it was an "A" labeled charger.
Darn, the other pictures of charge rate are on my son's phone. I will post shortly.

Still have to find the our data from Tejon Supercharger but as I recall it was even faster.

btw this car is awesome. I have been an auto engineer in Detroit in the past and an aerospace engineer in SoCal for many years, have owned 60 interesting cars over the years and the Model S stands above them all.

We just got back from our Tesla factory trip picking up our new Model S with the E Pack. We charged at Gilroy, Atascadero, and Tejon Superchargers. Gilroy was pretty busy with I think six cars charging. We were floored to see 198 mph charge at 153A and 385V as our Rav4 EV charges so slowly.
We then charged at Monterey on. Tesla standard charger with 26 mph at 47A and 232V.
Took a picture of our door weight tag:
Tag date. 11/14
GVWR. 5710 lb
GAWR. 2723 lb
GAWR. 3131 lb

Then charged at Atascadero. I took a picture of the tag on the Supercharger white box that I thinks has a lerge battery set in it. The tag stated:
3 Phases

Weight 1320 lbs

at Atascadero Supercharger:
Max charge rate was 381 mph at 314A and 368V. Wow that was fast. We were the only car charging and got on the charger closest to the power packs and it was an "A" labeled charger.

Still have to find the our data from Tejon Supercharger but as I recall it was even faster.
Max ideal range.JPG
Max rated range.JPG
Atascadero Supercharger rating plate.JPG
Atascadero max charge rate.JPG

The weight listings on the door sticker aren't going to help you much. The GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and includes the passengers and cargo. It's basically the maxium (fully loaded) weight of the car. Tesla reducing the weight of components isn't likely to reduce this unless they weaken suspension and frame parts. The GAWR is the Gross Axel Weight Rating, which is the maximum weight each axle can carry. Again this includes cargo and passengers and isn't likely to change with a battery change. I do note that this vehicle has different GAWR values than the September 2014 S85 (2813lb FRT/3307lb RR) I traded had but I had 19" wheels and this is clearly a P85+ (note the staggered tire sizes), so I believe that accounts for the differences (we know the P85+ has a different suspension setup).

In order to draw any conclusions you need the curb weight. Which Tesla doesn't publish anywhere on the vehicle. However, Washington requires it as part of the title application and Tesla provided 4,594 lb for the S85 I traded. I'd imagine you'd need to find a recent identical configuration (even things like the Pano roof probably change the curb weight) with a D battery to compare to.

- - - Updated - - -

3 Phases
Weight 1320 lbs

Okay, at Atascadero Supercharger:
Darn, the other pictures of charge rate are on my son's phone. I will post shortly.

None of those charging rates are unusual for a Model S at a supercharger. One thing to know is that the charge rate tapers, so it starts off very fast and slows down as the battery fills. So your charge rate at Monterey may have been impacted by the State of Charge (SOC around here) when you were charging. I believe US speced SuperCharges top out at 120kW (EU I think is 135kW but someone will probably correct me if I get these numbers wrong) and your Atascadero rate was roughly 115kW. So none of this is out of line with what we would expect. There's no evidence that the E pack is charging faster than the D pack so far.