Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sending addresses from Google to your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first reaction was--meh! How hard is it to just speak the address with the voice system.
But then I remembered that I often have to look up addresses/locations or they are sent to me by mail so I have to write it down or take a photo then enter it (manually or verbally) once I get in the car. A one-step process would be pretty convenient.

I have a BMW with Connected Drive which allows me (or my assistant) to send addresses from Google desktop to the vehicle so I don't have to enter them in the car while driving. Is this something you can do with Tesla either from Google or from a desktop app? Thank you.

If you or your assistant enter an address in a calendar entry on your desktop, and your calendar syncs with your phone and Model S, then you get the calendar entry with address in your Model S. If your assistant has permission to enter a calendar entry on your desktop while you are out of the office, then it will "automagically" appear as a calendar entry in your Model S while you re driving, assuming all of the syncing (desktop <-> iOS or Android phone -> Model S) is set up correctly. All you need to do then is open the calendar entry, and touch the address to aim the nav system appropriately. It works for me.

That will have to do for now until this feature is somehow added. I often have 5-8 appointments in a short period of time and need all of the addresses pre-loaded before I get going. If I have clients with me in the car it is super convenient to just pull up the list of addresses we are going to and select the right one to navigate to. (I sell real estate, btw).

I know this wasn’t exactly what you asked for, but all your contacts addresses are available to navigate to. All you have to do is put an address(es) in your contacts on your phone, and when it connects via bluetooth your address book is automatically uploaded to the model S.

Now here’s where the trick is: If you want to navigate to John Smith’s house, press the voice button and say “Call John Smith”, (yes, ‘Call’) then it will bring John Smith’s contact info up on the screen and show you the address, tap on the address and boom.. You’re navigating.

That will have to do for now until this feature is somehow added. I often have 5-8 appointments in a short period of time and need all of the addresses pre-loaded before I get going. If I have clients with me in the car it is super convenient to just pull up the list of addresses we are going to and select the right one to navigate to. (I sell real estate, btw).

Why doesnt the calendar feature work for you? Each apt can have an address and you just tap on them to go there. I use it all the time and it works great. Just make sure you only put in the address. If you put in something like "Chilis, 123 some road, Arlington, VT" it will get confused just the address "123 some road, Arlington, VT" and it works great.

Why doesnt the calendar feature work for you? Each apt can have an address and you just tap on them to go there. I use it all the time and it works great. Just make sure you only put in the address. If you put in something like "Chilis, 123 some road, Arlington, VT" it will get confused just the address "123 some road, Arlington, VT" and it works great.
Yes, for now I will have to adjust my workflow and put in 15-20 min appointments with separate addresses - just clutters up my calendar as I will sometimes go to 8 addresses in 2 hours. Will wait for my car to arrive then experiment. Thank you for all of the suggestions... and Tesla if you're listening please add the "send to car" google functionality in a future release. I'll add it to the suggestions thread too.

Now here’s where the trick is: If you want to navigate to John Smith’s house, press the voice button and say “Call John Smith”, (yes, ‘Call’) ... Tap ... You’re navigating.
Works in the reverse direction as well. I'll pull up a restaurant's Map Pin from Favorites or a NAV Search and hit "call" instead of navigate, to place a to-go order.

An even better solution, available on some handheld GPS units is the ability to enter a whole bunch of points and have it automatically choose the most efficient route. Great for multiple errands where scheduling is less important than route efficiency.
I'm really surprised that any GPS unit can solve a Traveling Salesman Problem, which is NP-hard. I'm guessing they just try a few paths and see which seems shortest.

I'll second the general call, though, for a way to send not only an address to the Model S but also a preferred routing. The nav system currently has no knobs that let me tradeoff time vs. distance, or to stay off a toll road if there's a pretty good alternative.