Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Utica, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On one hand, Utica doesn't make much sense as a Supercharger location, as it is not equidistant between Albany/Colonie and Buffalo/Clarence. Syracuse fits the bill for that criterion. But on the other hand, Utica does make sense for a "gateway to the Adirondacks" Supercharger location, especially in addition to one in Syracuse.

Having said all that, I searched for town board planning and zoning meeting agendas and minutes for a bunch of localities surrounding Utica, and found nothing so far. But these towns seem much less rigorous about posting their meeting agendas and minutes than the PA townships. at least from what I could find.

I fully expect Superchargers in Utica, Syracuse AND Rochester. And at a minimum Erie but maybe 3 between Buffalo and Cleveland including Erie. But you could get by without Erie with Conneaut and Westfield instead.

I'm expect that to go along with the Buffalo and Albany Superchargers, there'll be ones in Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, and Watertown. This enables traveling to and through every major city in NY state and the primary routes through NY state. Hopefully in the future we'll get superchargers towards the corners of the state like Plattsburgh, Corning, Kingston and an Adirondak SC, but getting the Hwy 90 and 81 cross covered would be a fantastic start.

I fully expect Superchargers in Utica, Syracuse AND Rochester. And at a minimum Erie but maybe 3 between Buffalo and Cleveland including Erie. But you could get by without Erie with Conneaut and Westfield instead.

Someone who's traveling to upstate NY.. putting it in Binghamton is a good location also since it enables travel to the middle of the state as well. Right now, someone traveling on I-90 will be quite happy with Utica, as they can charge in Albany and then charge in Utica. Eventually, Utica, Syracuse and Rochester and Binghamton are all good locations for supercharger.

My sense is that Tesla is working in parallel on many locations at once; we shouldn't assume that Utica -> ~Syracuse, as it's far more likely that Tesla is trying to get deals in all these areas, and the Utica deal happened to move fastest.

If I were a betting man, I'd put good odds that the Utica Supercharger will be at the Best Western Adirondacks Gateway Inn. Very convenient to the Thruway, and Best Western has a good reputation supporting EV charging. (I have no information about this location, just speculating.)

My sense is that Tesla is working in parallel on many locations at once; we shouldn't assume that Utica -> ~Syracuse, as it's far more likely that Tesla is trying to get deals in all these areas, and the Utica deal happened to move fastest.

If I were a betting man, I'd put good odds that the Utica Supercharger will be at the Best Western Adirondacks Gateway Inn. Very convenient to the Thruway, and Best Western has a good reputation supporting EV charging. (I have no information about this location, just speculating.)

I never meant to imply that it was not happening in parallel.. Agreed.

Any more info on Utica? Traveling to Deansboro end of April and would love to have a Supercharger in Utica. Otherwise, I'll be sitting at a college j1772 for a few hours to top up.

Dunno but it looks like in the new maps they are making their way closer hitting up Scranton Binghamton and Rochester with coming soon icons. Still need places like Ithica syracuse Utica etc. lots of important crossroad areas up there.

(LMB spouse)

Any more info on Utica? Traveling to Deansboro end of April and would love to have a Supercharger in Utica. Otherwise, I'll be sitting at a college j1772 for a few hours to top up.

Per the following post, the crew currently at Charlotte, NC will do Utica and Syracuse next.

Supercharger - Greenville, SC - Page 24

Also, my "good authority" (see top of thread) was somewhat optimistic about the start date.

I just got this in an email from Tesla, in response to a question I asked about the Syracuse and Utica SCs:

Our site in Utica is nearly done and we hope to open this location in the coming weeks, however the location in Syracuse has a significant amount of construction still left to complete. We are doing everything we can to open Syracuse around the end of February but we are unable to make any guarantees.