Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there only 6 airbags in europe, used to be 8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any reason why tesla have removed 2 airbags from EU cars ?

On my old Model S P85 (2013) was the following text to find in specs (in danish, but I guess you get the point)

Sikkerhed
Otte(8) airbags: til hoved, knæ og
bækkenparti foran samt to sidegardin
airbags

on the 2015 model S specs is:
Sikkerhed
Seks(6) airbags: til hoved og bækkenparti foran samt to sidegardin-airbags

that seem like a step back to me.

the airbag wich have been removed are the knee airbag, and this seems still on US specs.
now Im about to order my 2' Model S as my P85 are sold and a P85D are on order.

I DO NOT WISH to buy a super fast less safe tesla - Tesla should include all posible safety features on a 0-60 3.2 sec car.

Last edited:
if Tesla's (or anybody else) answer is, that a large safe car like Model S does not need knee airbags - why are they still including 8 airbags in US cars ?

here in EU, even inexpensive mini cars have knee airbags

just checked and even a small car like KIA picanto have knee airbags - I wounder if Tesla think EU customers are stupid

Last edited:
I wounder if Tesla think EU customers are stupid

Yes, I'm sure that's it, you know those arrogant Americans and their attitude towards Europeans.

Seriously...I am sure there is a logical explanation and the change was made for a good reason. I recommend that you contact Tesla and ask them about it instead of posting comments making absurd accusations.

only thinking so, since they still include it in US cars - if they had removed it from both EU and US cars I would have made the assumption that is was not needed.
As it is now Tesla look like they have removed it since they don't get extra point for the euroncap test....and yesI have wrote a email to tesla and are awaiting the responce.
I really dossen't care about how meny point they get in a euroncap test - however I care about how I will look if I ever are involved in a accident.

especially if Im about to buy a "insane" car. - my P85 are already sold.

only thinking so, since they still include it in US cars - if they had removed it from both EU and US cars I would have made the assumption that is was not needed.
As it is now Tesla look like they have removed it since they don't get extra point for the euroncap test....and yesI have wrote a email to tesla and are awaiting the responce.
I really dossen't care about how meny point they get in a euroncap test - however I care about how I will look if I ever are involved in a accident.

especially if Im about to buy a "insane" car. - my P85 are already sold.

I guarantee, if it is true, that it would be completely due to European regulations that Tesla is forced to adhere to.

For instance, European regulations might insist that two airbags in the current design be combined into one airbag to minimize the possibility of failure. So you might easily have just as much airbag space being deployed but removing one of the smaller deployment canisters.

Just a thought, but it would make sense.

I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen people ask about extra safety on the P85D. It's going 0-60 faster than the P85. You're not suddenly going 400 kilometers an hour instead of 100. Brakes, airbags, etc sufficient for safety in the P85 would be the same in the P85D.

I'm curious why there are only 6 airbags in the EU model, but that's a question for Tesla. Asking here isn't likely to find an answer. Ranting about Tesla thinking EU customers are stupid makes you look...well...you're fulfilling your own rant.

Your right. Sorry. Just very disapointed.

Was looking forward to have a new tesla, even better than that before. Only to discover that my new order have less airbags. I could live with that. But the fact that US cars still have 8 tells me they are stil needed/better.
I belive tesla should not save those few bugs, and include it to any car. After all they are trhing to avoid variant and stremline production.

Was looking forward to have a new tesla, even better than that before. Only to discover that my new order have less airbags. I could live with that. But the fact that US cars still have 8 tells me they are stil needed/better.
I belive tesla should not save those few bugs, and include it to any car. After all they are trhing to avoid variant and stremline production.

I think it highly unlikely that the difference is to save money. For example, who said those 6 airbags are 6 of the same ones fitted in the US cars? Maybe it's 6 big ones instead of 8 small ones?

There have long been differences between US and EU car models for various regulatory and cultural reasons. It used to be the case (not sure if it still is) that US airbags had to be designed on the basis that the driver might not be wearing a seatbelt, while here we've long had mandatory seatbelt use (and a culture of obeying those laws) so by the time airbags became common they could be designed assuming the driver is wearing a belt. This led to bigger airbags in US cars - but not necessarily better, as they required more powerful inflation and so tended to have a higher rate of injuries caused by the airbag itself.

Any reason why tesla have removed 2 airbags from EU cars ?

On my old Model S P85 (2013) was the following text to find in specs (in danish, but I guess you get the point)

on the 2015 model S specs is:

that seem like a step back to me.

the airbag wich have been removed are the knee airbag, and this seems still on US specs.
now Im about to order my 2' Model S as my P85 are sold and a P85D are on order.

I DO NOT WISH to buy a super fast less safe tesla - Tesla should include all posible safety features on a 0-60 3.2 sec car.

Nobody here seems to know, so I guess you need to contact Tesla to ask.

My guess is that the airbags aren't needed, but they would have had to redo the US crash testing if they removed them now.
That seems like the most probable explanation so far. So the soonest we'll see the airbags removed in the US is probably with the model year change next year. They are not going to want to redo crash tests for the same model year.

razor.png

We all know that more = better.