Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather Seat Wrinkle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

To my surprise while cleaning the interior of the car, I see the left side of the leather patch on the driver seat showing wrinkle lines after three months of used :scared:. Is this normal? I remembered my 2009 Bmw M5 had no issue with leather seat for its entire lifetime. If the seat shows wrinkles after only 3 months that I should question the quality of Tesla's interior craftsmanship? I'm a light weigh by the way, 155 pounds. It shouldn't affect much.

The leather in my original MS wasn't particularly great. Yes, the leather's soft and will leave "butt creases" and I did see wrinkles in the side bolsters as well. I didn't use any leather treatment product on them.

Have switched to textile for the new order. The leather (which is not ventilated and cooled) can also be uncomfortable and sweat-inducing in even slightly warm conditions.

This issue was raised a long time ago, with early Sig deliveries. I was walking around Kennsington in London in Sept. 2012. I have never seen so many posh cars in such concentration in my life. Many Bentleys, Jags, R8s, Ferraris, Audi 8s, BMW7s, Lexus etc. simply parked at the curb as daily drivers! I took the opportunity to survey their driver seat leather. Most of them had what I would call slack leather in the seat bottoms. The Lexuses seemed tighter. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I don't know, but non-taut leather seems to be the norm.

Here's my driver's seat after nearly two years. Holding up quite well I think.

IMG_20141012_110135.jpg

You've got Alcantara on your bolsters, though. That happens to be where my leather is wrinkling.

Ah, interesting point. Yeah, that's where I saw considerable wear on my old Audi, too.

Will be interesting to see how the new seats in the P85D hold up with their larger, alcantera-free bolsters. Some extra leather care might be in order.

I had good luck with Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner on the Audi. Haven't used it on the Tesla as I've been busy and the seats seem to be holding up better, perhaps because of the smartly placed alcantera.

I think the problem with the current generation seats is that they don't have enough stiching lines to keep the leather tight - too much space between lines, therefore too much unstitched leather area.

I noticed the same problem with my VW's leather seats, which only had 2 stiching lines on the bottom seat cushion area. When I got my Audi I was glad to see that there were 4! After 11 years, no "butt dents" to report.

Similarly, it looks like Tesla's next-gen seats seem to have more stiching lines, so I hope they hold up longer. I took a test ride in a P85D today and they definitely look tight (will post a picture later tonight).

EDIT - here's a picture of the front next-gen seats in the P85D I rode in yesterday:

IMG_4984.jpg

Last edited:
I would highly recommend the Leatherique system, it is 2 step time consuming job but without doubt one of if not the best leather products on the market.

If used correctly brings back the natural look of the leather reduces lines and does not leave that cheap shine you get from other off the shelf cleaners.

The product needs to be used correctly to work. You do need a 12-24 hour period to correctly prepare clean and condition the leather and a big downside for most of you it needs a warm day for this to work.

(If you live in Florida no problem) :tongue:

I use it religiously on all my cars applying every three months and with outstanding results.

Here is a blog about the two products you need to use and how to use them

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/leatherique-prestine-clean-product-review/

It will not tighten up your leather but will get it looking pristine.

I think the problem with the current generation seats is that they don't have enough stiching lines to keep the leather tight - too much space between lines, therefore too much unstitched leather area.

I noticed the same problem with my VW's leather seats, which only had 2 stiching lines on the bottom seat cushion area. When I got my Audi I was glad to see that there were 4! After 11 years, no "butt dents" to report.

Similarly, it looks like Tesla's next-gen seats seem to have more stiching lines, so I hope they hold up longer. I took a test ride in a P85D today and they definitely look tight (will post a picture later tonight).

EDIT - here's a picture of the front next-gen seats in the P85D I rode in yesterday:

View attachment 64551

Isn't that interesting... black seats with tan trim?! I like that.

Reactions: drhombus
Add my S85 to the list. Car is now 6 months old, and I do notice the exact same wrinkles on the side of the driver's seat. Never had that issue in any previous car. I suspect this is due to the fact that the leather surface is much smoother than that of other cars I owned before. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. Does anyone know if this has ever been raised with TM?