Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Scottsdale AZ Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are frequent Model S parkers that park in the Scottsdale Quarter EV parking spots that habitually occupy them without plugging in. It may be one individual, but I haven't checked the plates yet. It's always a white Model S.

Please, if any EV drivers do not plan on plugging in, park in a non-EV spot.

Thank you.

I suggest you leave a friendly note for them next time you see them...

I'm the one that added the Scottsdale Quarter chargers to Plugshare (well, the north garage -- someone else added the south garage a few days later). I park in those spots when I'm down there, but always plug in (my white Model S)...

What is the difference between a model S owner that parks In a charging spot, and not charging, and a models S owner that parks in the same spot and charges when he doesn't need to?

What is the difference between a model S owner that parks In a charging spot, and not charging, and a models S owner that parks in the same spot and charges when he doesn't need to?

'Not plugged in' is objectively verifiable; 'doesn't need to charge' is subjective.

Note that you can be plugged in and not charging (and a passerby won't be able to tell), so there are several shades of grey here.

Thank you for the dignified responses. I had nothing to jot down a note with, but I have since printed cards to leave for anyone EV parked and not plugged.

- - - Updated - - -

'Not plugged in' is objectively verifiable; 'doesn't need to charge' is subjective.

Note that you can be plugged in and not charging (and a passerby won't be able to tell), so there are several shades of grey here.

What are the possible choices an EV car can have in an EV charging spot?

-Plugged in and charging
-Plugged in and done charging (service is off, plug still plugged in)
-Not plugged in at all.

The first two are very mild "infractions" of etiquette, but the third is inexcusable.

In the second case above, -plugged in and done charging, I have no problem unplugging to use the charger for myself, and if it were my car and I was plugged and done (well, first of all, I'd know, and I'd go move the car) I would be glad to be unplugged so someone else can use the plug.

Parking in the EV charging spot and not charging is the equivalent of ICE'ing over the EV spot.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the dignified responses. I had nothing to jot down a note with, but I have since printed cards to leave for anyone EV parked and not plugged.

- - - Updated - - -

-Plugged in and charging
-Not plugged in at all.

The first two are very mild "infractions" of etiquette, but the third is inexcusable.

In the second case above, -plugged in and done charging, I have no problem unplugging to use the charger for myself, and if it were my car and I was plugged and done (well, first of all, I'd know, and I'd go move the car) I would be glad to be unplugged so someone else can use the plug.

Parking in the EV charging spot and not being plugged in at all is the equivalent of ICE'ing over the EV spot.

Thank you.

Parking in the EV charging spot and not being plugged in at all is the equivalent of ICE'ing over the EV spot.
Sorry for my lousy posting skills....

- - - Updated - - -

I meant the second case is a mild infraction of etiquette. It's late, and I can't figure out how to edit the posts.

Apologies....

"When he doesn't need to" is subjective because he'll need that charge at some point. He's utilizing the charger for its intended purpose, not blocking others.

We are told, and they are still telling us, that we can plug in and go for a snack or do shopping or just take a walk.
NO. We should stay by our cars, it does not take long to charge. That's what it is all about. It does not take that long.
Charge up and move on.
~Larry
These are level 2 chargers they're talking about, so certainly no one would be staying by the car. Even for superchargers, no, there is no reason to stay by the car at the vast majority of superchargers where there is no congestion. I have never been to a supercharger that didn't have more empty spots than full ones. I almost always time my supercharger stop to have lunch or dinner and I keep track of the status with the app. That's what it's for-- so you don't have to stay by the car.

Maybe 3 or 4 supercharger sites out of hundreds have congestion and those get all the comments. It's not an issue for most sites, where supercharging is stress free.

Your input, Larry, is appropriate for Supercharger sites but not for this thread. The charger in question is a very low amperage one - my recollection is 32 amps or so - and it charges really slowly.
I have encountered that vehicle there as well. I'm thinking it might be effective if all who visit that site to endow the offending Model S with their own, unique, notes. The "crowd" effect might produce the desired consequence.

(on edit: TexEV wrote while I was typing....)

-Plugged in and charging
-Not plugged in at all.
There is one other, which is you were plugged in and charging, but someone unplugged you, either to charger themselves, or just to be obnoxious (yes it happens).

I recommend leaving a note on the dash saying you are charging, some contact info and whether or not it's okay to unplug you.

There is one other, which is you were plugged in and charging, but someone unplugged you, either to charger themselves, or just to be obnoxious (yes it happens).

I recommend leaving a note on the dash saying you are charging, some contact info and whether or not it's okay to unplug you.
For a non-SC charger, that pretty much implies you have to use the adapter, which is locked to the charge port on the S. So while someone could indeed hijack the cable, the tell-tale adapter would still be in place on the S.

For a non-SC charger, that pretty much implies you have to use the adapter, which is locked to the charge port on the S. So while someone could indeed hijack the cable, the tell-tale adapter would still be in place on the S.
Good point. I forgot that stays locked until you unlock the car.

On anything except a Tesla that is not the case though.

I work at the Quarter and I rarely see any Model S parked at the Volta stations in the South garage on weekdays. The only time I see one is in the evening and they're always plugged in. We've used the north garage since it seems most people go to the other one and we plug in. Very slow charge, but we get some extra miles from a 2 to 3 yr visit. Those that park there during the day tend to be Volt owners and they usually work there. My boss is one of those that uses it. She sometimes moves it mid-day, but usually it's there for the day. If I brought my S there (that will RARELY happen since my husband won't let me have the car), I'd have to get there by 715am to get a spot in the south building. But it most definitely would be plugged in. I'm surprised someone wouldn't plug in. It's so easy! And even if they don't, there's room to park on the other side of the station and plug in. I would. And I'm sure if they saw my car next to there's and I was plugged in, they may understand what it's actually to be used for.

As a way to communicate your personal charging situation, I've seen multiple versions of the following: EV Card | Plug In America
And there is an app called supercharger QR, which allows people to contact you thru the app vs posting your cell phone publicly.
I tried both, though personally find its just easier to be respectful and monitor your charging via the Tesla app.
Then again....I don't charge on the road very often, and have been lucky enough to not have many issues with it.

It is quite surprising that a Tesla owner would essentially ICE a charging spot.....and do it frequently. :-(