Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ricardo Reyes Returns to Head Tesla Communications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Motors Chief Spokesman Leaves Ahead of Model 3 Unveil

Didn't last two years, but that seems par for the course. The difficult thing for TMC is we're basically dealing with someone different each year. But by the time the new guy gets us, he's gone. Perhaps the only guy to ever really get us, and show an actual understanding and appreciation of what TMC is, was George B. Man do I miss George.

Reactions: markwj
Tesla Motors Chief Spokesman Leaves Ahead of Model 3 Unveil

Didn't last two years, but that seems par for the course. The difficult thing for TMC is we're basically dealing with someone different each year. But by the time the new guy gets us, he's gone. Perhaps the only guy to ever really get us, and show an actual understanding and appreciation of what TMC is, was George B. Man do I miss George.

That hasn't been my experience - lots of people there that I interact with that have been there from the beginning or near the beginning (and many in a position of authority). Like any business (including TMC), Tesla is made up of individuals, all doing the best they can.

I'll second the fact that George B is missed. He was one of the best I ever saw in handling those individual interactions, in fact he got energy from it. But I guess we don't always have the luxury of a George B everywhere. And then it comes down to managing the relationship.

Reactions: AnOutsider
Missing GB as well

We all do, Discoduck :). George was probably the only person I witnessed repeatedly gaining energy from a crowd. Where I'd be worn out at the end of a long evening, he was energized. He truly enjoyed his interactions with every single customer he met. It showed. It was amazing to watch.

But my point, of course, is that when you're running a business (such as TMC), you have to work with your partner. Very few of us in business have the luxury of a George B on the other side of the table. And while at times, Tesla as a corp can be frustrating, the individuals are not. Pretty normal in the biz world to have to actively manage a relationship and make sure everyone is on the same page, especially when it's an important partner. It's not on a 'George B' to make a relationship work, it's on everyone.

Reactions: markwj
@bonnie Umm.. you seem to be reading too much into what I said. Also I don't really view TMC as a business beyond what's needed for liability protection and sustainability.
Regardless, for what I have to do, I'm interacting with someone different every other year because they "leave" or get fired. Simple fact. However, George was from beginning to end, far above everyone else (sorry guys) just amazing to work with. And on the occasions I had to chat with him post Tesla, he's still awesome.

Just such strange timing 2 weeks before M3 reveal, seems like might have been a "jump" vs a "push" fwiw
Too my recollection, most of the major departures have been before a significant event. It might just be how they time the news to balance the impact.