Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sale Price Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've got a S85 from 2013 that I'm considering selling and I'm trying to come up with what price is reasonable given the market. I know the "1% per month and $1/mile", but at some point that becomes irrelevant.

So I'd appreciate any input:

It's a S85, Tech package, Pano Roof, interior lighting, jump seats, regular suspension. 35,000 miles, and I have the extended warranty if it is transferable(?).

Battery charges to 262.

Any input?

RandyY,
I'd call Earth Motors or Star(works)?? as they seem to do the most in the way of used MS sales. Ask for a bid on your car which will get you a wholesale number. Price up from that reference point as one possible way to base your pricing on reality (wholesale/retail spread).

Hope the above helps.

Given that P85s have recently been sold for the late 70s lately I'd say your S85 is worth somewhere in the late 60s to early 70s. If you price it much higher it may not sell as there are a bunch of S85 priced higher that are not selling. A forum member recently sold his S85 for $62K. If you get a reasonable offer, take as the number of Model S vehicles in the market is steadily going up. There were barely 40 available for sale in the whole country before the D was announced and now on cars.com there are 151.

Hi RandyY,

I'm in Texas looking to purchase a Tesla. I've been looking at inventory cars and have seen a S85 Tech with Autopilot for $82K mentioned above. That inventory car is close to brand new (only 2k miles) for $74.5K after $7.5K rebate with the latest hardware. I wouldn't mind purchasing a used Tesla. However, given the low cost of a new Tesla with Autopilot I probably would only pay ~51K for a used Tesla with 35K miles. Please PM me if you are interested. Also, please note that a similarly configured car is around ~$85K after rebate (Blue S85 with Tech, leather, rear seats, roof) so less than $1 per mile of deprecation is pretty good for a used luxury car.

RandyY,
I'd call Earth Motors or Star(works)??

Starwood motors based in Dallas, Texas.

One of my friends checked their website last week and they have 20-23 Teslas in the inventory. They told him they wont buy the vehicle from him unless it is a trade in.

Hope this helps

- - - Updated - - -

Hi RandyY,

I'm in Texas looking to purchase a Tesla. I've been looking at inventory cars and have seen a S85 Tech with Autopilot for $82K mentioned above. That inventory car is close to brand new (only 2k miles) for $74.5K after $7.5K rebate with the latest hardware..

Greenuser: S85 Tech with autopilot for $82K is really a good deal. I would take it.. Think about it

Starwood motors based in Dallas, Texas.

One of my friends checked their website last week and they have 20-23 Teslas in the inventory. They told him they wont buy the vehicle from him unless it is a trade in.

Hope this helps

Earth quoted me $47k based on Tesla valuation scale. [No Thanks]

I think Tesla's valuation scale works fine for low mileage cars, loaners etc -- but isn't really relevant for trade-ins. I totally understand wanting to buy a new car if you have the means, and I'd love to buy mine for ~$50k -- but I think that's probably a steal of a deal.

I don't believe that ~51K is a steal of a deal. A steal would be what Tesla considers the residual of a leased car (i.e. 47% for 36 months with 36K miles), which would be about ~40K ($85K times 47%). I think the car has significant miles and therefore deprecation seems a lot given it is only a 2013 model. Please let me know what you consider a fair price since I'm curious on what a seller's prospective is. It would be nice to know so I can make a new vs used decision. Thanks for the information.

I'll give you $52k....

High mileage adds some to depreciation but I don't agree with Greenuser on the extent. I believe the $62k is the lowest that an S85 has sold for (but my information is very limited).

I think you would sell quickly in the low 60s and might even get high 60s

The extended warranty has value for anyone - I'd say $1.5k for me. Pano is worth something ($1k?) even if I wouldn't pay for it new. Jump seats - very little for me. lighting - very little

I mentally deduct $5k for lack of autopilot. I'd deduct $5k for mileage. And then $10k for a year.

New for S85 tech is $77k after TC. Minus 20 as outlined above but + 3. So I get to $60k. But the right buyer would pay some for the seats and more for the other options.

You make some interesting points David. I, however, don't see why someone would play low 60s to high 60s for a used S85 without Autopilot when a new S85 is 74.5K (inventory car with 2k miles) with Autopilot. I don't think a reasonable person would think 35,000 miles is only worth 5K off the price of a new car (that is close to .14 cents per mile). I believe the gas savings alone are estimated to be .10-.14 cents per mile for the car. So you are assuming a person can buy a new Tesla, use the gas savings, and then sell the car for 5k less and have no net loss related to mileage. That seems a stretch. If the mileage was around 15K then I would agree. 35K miles is a lot of miles for a 1 year used car. It is usually 3 years of driving for the average person.

- - - Updated - - -

I would therefore deduct at least 10K for mileage. That would be $55K. My prior value of $51K didn't estimate in the warranty, which I would value at $2K, so my revised estimate would be about $53K. I don't think my number of $53K is that far from yours of $60K. The main difference between the numbers seems to be how to value the deprecation of the mileage. I believe you are considering mileage deprecation to be linear vs exponential in the beginning. I believe deprecation per mile to be very high in the first few years and then fall off in latter years. For example, for the next 35K miles I wouldn't deduct 10K but rather 6K, etc. Thanks for the input.

It depends what options the inventory car has. From what I looked at there would be about 3-4 k off on the inventory car for cars with autopilot. so for that car a selling price of 82 and a discount of 4k brings msrp to 86 so It must have just autopilot tech package and not much else. Giving the exact msrp and options would give more info on comparing the 2 deals.

what are the options on the inventory car?

I think the 62k car had more options, same 30k+ miles and had extended warranty. so i would guess 60-62k on this S85.

2 issues. Inventory is great deal. But does inventory have pano and seats?

With unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drivetrain, the 35k doesn't worry me much. Presumably I still have 7 years on the warranty. In my $10k for the year of life (with mileage), I put that at 20k miles so the $5k is for the excess 15k ($.33 per mile).

Semantics - we aren't that far off. But I'd probably buy the car today at $53k even though I am not ready. I'd consider that a really good price and I'd jump on it.

I didn't think Tesla had any inventory vehicles with Autopilot for sale yet. I've heard that they hold inventory cars for 3 months. The first Autopilot car we know about was delivered on September 22nd. That means that no Autopilot cars should be eligible to be sold for another month.

I bought one sunday. 50 miles. only $1100 off. But I get it in a few days vs march and It has same specs I wanted. I get pearl white for free vs white.

plus tax credit this year and can sell my current car for 3k more vs march /april when it has 12k more miles on it. ( i drive alot)

The highest discounted ones I saw were 2-4k but not what I wanted. ( i wanted rear jump seats)

I bought one sunday. 50 miles. only $1100 off. But I get it in a few days vs march and It has same specs I wanted. I get pearl white for free vs white.

plus tax credit this year and can sell my current car for 3k more vs march /april when it has 12k more miles on it. ( i drive alot)

The highest discounted ones I saw were 2-4k but not what I wanted. ( i wanted rear jump seats)

As in one with the Autopilot sensors or just that you bought an inventory car. I'm curious if there really are inventory cars with Autopilot sensors on them already being sold.

Yes. Autopilot. Built in Oct 2014. Vin 55xxx. . It was a requirement since I have equivalent distronic plus on my current mb e class.

I have autopilot hardware... Now need software asap.

They can sort autopilot cars on the inventory list now. It is one of the "check boxes" just like any other option.