Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unbelievable! Catalytic Converter missing on the gas used car that I bought in Italy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used gas Mercedes and I found out that the Catalytic Converter was missing. :scared:

This shows how much Italian people care (or it would be better to say "don't care") about environmental issues. :cursing:

Last edited:
Do you think it was stolen or removed to free up exhaust flow?

I think it was removed. That's why this thing it's unbelievable. The person who removed it didn't care at all about its important role to decrease pollutants produced by the car. :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

i think it was never put on, to free up cash flow. Theirs. Catalytic converters are expensive.

Don't think so. After all it's a Mercedes.

- - - Updated - - -

I asked to my mechanic to install it. Yes it's expansive but the Catalytic Converter not only it's important to decrease pollutants produced by the car. I would also break the law if this device was missing on my car.

i think it was never put on, to free up cash flow. Theirs. Catalytic converters are expensive.

To clarify: Catalytic converters get old, stop working, need replacement, just like belts, lubricants, etc. You said the car was "used", so I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it was old. In many cases, catalytic converters need replacement in under ten years, and they are EXPENSIVE. Maybe not for Mercedes. I don't know.

If I had an old bomb of a Mercedes, or even a nice old Mercedes, and it needed a new CC, I might think that I didn't need to put out the several hundred dollars for a new CC.

I don't believe it was stolen. I can't imagine a market for used, or partially used CCs. Although I'm also able to imagine there might be such a thing with the level of intellect out there.

Of course, they could have left the old CC on the car and just had it not being effective. Then it would have looked fine.

Actually there is a significant market for used catalytic converters. One day a few years ago in broad daylight they hit 7 cars in our parking lot. There is some expensive trace metals in them. Be sure to check other muffler shops. We need to replace the catalytic in our Prius. Toyota quoted $1570, a local muffler shop $375.

CCs are stolen for the precious metals in them. Obviously, when people steal a CC they don't patch the resulting gap with a straight pipe, so it is very obvious and loud.

Yes the car was noisy. The dealer told me it was done intentionally by the previous owner. He liked the noise of the engine to be very loud. But I didn't imagine that the CC was missing!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually there is a significant market for used catalytic converters. One day a few years ago in broad daylight they hit 7 cars in our parking lot. There is some expensive trace metals in them.

I didn't know this. Hope that nobody will steal the new CC that I am going to install on my car. :scared: