Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is going to make Model X Unique ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it is unique in itself but what I am trying to get at is what will be the special features at the reveal.

We have already seen Autopilot and AWD for the P85D. So those are no longer headline grabbers and unique. We already know the Falcon Wing Doors. And we certainly know that Elon is going to want something special to make a big splash during the presentation !! Will it just be a bigger battery ? Is that really a show stopper ?

Will the towing capacity be big enough to carry the show ? Perhaps towing in a train car, Elon's Private jet, or something. Will the roof rack design be spectacular enough to carry the show ? Doesn't seem like it to me.

So what spectacular feature would you like to see touted at the reveal. :confused:

I know it is unique in itself but what I am trying to get at is what will be the special features at the reveal.

We have already seen Autopilot and AWD for the P85D. So those are no longer headline grabbers and unique. We already know the Falcon Wing Doors. And we certainly know that Elon is going to want something special to make a big splash during the presentation !! Will it just be a bigger battery ? Is that really a show stopper ?

Will the towing capacity be big enough to carry the show ? Perhaps towing in a train car, Elon's Private jet, or something. Will the roof rack design be spectacular enough to carry the show ? Doesn't seem like it to me.

So what spectacular feature would you like to see touted at the reveal. :confused:
I would just like to see the reveal, show us the car!

Elon seems to have revealed that it won't have a roof rack, but it will be able to carry skis and bikes and stuff in something attached at the back of the car. No other details.

I think that a major feature that no one outside Tesla has seen yet will be the way the second row seats work when the Falcon Wings open. Possibly they will swivel to face outwards. Just my speculation but Elon has stated in the past that he wants a "wow" reaction when the Wings raise up and reveal the second row.

The fact that Model X is ready an available for sale :)

Since they have at least another 7 months before delivery, I'm hoping the side-view cameras will be part of the final product.

Personally I don't give a rat's patoot about autopilot. I want to drive the car. Let's not get carried away with the Silicon Valley mythos. Each new vehicle doesn't necessarily have to have half a dozen first-ever-in-the-world technologies to be a great car. Electric, AWD that's superior to any mechanical system, range, and space. Put that into a car that's beautiful and reliable and you've got something special. Anything else is sprinkles on the Sundae.

Elon seems to have revealed that it won't have a roof rack, but it will be able to carry skis and bikes and stuff in something attached at the back of the car. No other details.

I think that a major feature that no one outside Tesla has seen yet will be the way the second row seats work when the Falcon Wings open. Possibly they will swivel to face outwards. Just my speculation but Elon has stated in the past that he wants a "wow" reaction when the Wings raise up and reveal the second row.

I still don't see where they said this? I know people interpreted it as such in the email thread, but I don't see it that way at all.

I still don't see where they said this? I know people interpreted it as such in the email thread, but I don't see it that way at all.
It's Marketing 101. You never highlight the deficiencies of your product, but rather talk about the positives in order to divert attention away from a perceived problem. In this case, the deficiency is you can't operate the falcon wing doors if you place items on the roof.

The solutions are either:
1. Disable the falcon wing doors with a roof rack in place, and exit only via the front doors.
2. Engineer a complex roof rack that allows the falcon wing doors to operate with roof-mounted objects in place.
3. Use a hitch-mounted rack to store items that may otherwise go on the roof.

Since Tesla is highlighting #3, it stands to reason that this is the solution they have chosen from an OEM's perspective. There's nothing preventing aftermarket solutions that follow either #1 or #2, but they likely won't be supported by Tesla in terms of engineering provisions or shared development costs.

I am wondering if it could have the side view cameras with a rear view mirrors over them. Then when/if the laws change, you could simply take off the side view mirror and be ready to go. A dummy side view that snaps on over the rear view camera would probably not cost that much to produce.

This would also call attention to the issue politically, it would probably grab some media attention, and people could take the mirrors off if they wanted to chance it with their local law enforcement.

Eh, re-reading it, I can see how it can be interpreted that the hitch is the only option for ski racks and such. I have no need to have a roof-rack, but I'd be pretty disappointed if the X DIDN'T have it given what was promised. At the same time, it's not like it would be the first time.

Guess we'll see in a few months

It's Marketing 101. You never highlight the deficiencies of your product, but rather talk about the positives in order to divert attention away from a perceived problem. In this case, the deficiency is you can't operate the falcon wing doors if you place items on the roof.

1. Disable the falcon wing doors with a roof rack in place, and exit only via the front doors.
2. Engineer a complex roof rack that allows the falcon wing doors to operate with roof-mounted objects in place.

Since Tesla is highlighting #3, it stands to reason that this is the solution they have chosen from an OEM's perspective. There's nothing preventing aftermarket solutions that follow either #1 or #2, but they likely won't be supported by Tesla in terms of engineering provisions or shared development costs.

Don't jump to conclusions. You certainly could have a roof rack that only takes up half the roof with just 1 falcon wing door disabled. Which also means complex engineering isn't required.

It will clearly be the best handling SUV type car ever built thanks to its low center of gravity. It will also have class beating traction/traction control. It will be an SUV that handles like a Vette, albeit a heavy one.

And it's highly possible you're severely overthinking|over-interpreting a simple email update. It's also Comms 101 to not make the communication so long as to lose the reader's interest. So it is possible that they didn't cover every possible interpretation of every sentence that they wrote.

Sometimes the words are just what they mean and nothing more. You're assuming a deficiency. If you're right, then the rest of your post makes sense. What if there is no deficiency? Is it possible you're wrong? I don't see room for that possibility in your post...

- - - Updated - - -

But, but...it also doesn't mean that you ARE having anything else for Thanksgiving dinner. :cool:

Desserts. Lots. Stuffing. Potatoes. Gravy.

Carb heaven for a day. Turkey is merely an enabler.

Heated and ventilated seats in all positions with a massaging option.

An open path between the front seats that allow you to walk through to the back

Enough room for a 4x8 sheet and/or 10' lumber

It will hold an entire mattress giving it build in sleeping options

Plenty of possibilities...
Middle row seats swivel 180 with optional table between 2nd and 3rd row.
Air suspension 4x the height of the S so you can go anywhere.
Ability to drive through water to some amazing depth.
Demonstration of low cog by driving across some impossible side slope. Perhaps elon will park it on a 70 degree angle and demonstrate the falcon wing doors from above.

We already know that the falcon wing doors articulate at the corner as well as the center. What if it has a programmed mode for roof racks and low clearance ceilings where it only pops up slightly to clear the latch, and then swings the lower panel out to the side?

You'd need a bunch of space beside the car, but not more than a fully opened conventional door.
Walter

I'm driving a Leaf currently and as silly as it sounds, this time of year my favorite feature is the heated steering wheel.

I'd like to see the Model X pay attention to the little details inside that make a larger SUV so much more useful than a sedan: storage storage storage. We don't have young kids any more, so looking at this as the car we use to take friends to the city, so I want the adults in the back seat to be treated to some luxury. Great lighting (even for reading), a great place to put drinks, ability to recline, arm rests, individual environment controls, heated seats. Basically, middle row should be just as comfortable and convenient as the front seats.

Sig#205