Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New baby coming. Advice for 2 carseat locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

How have you positioned 2 carseats in the MS? We will have a 3 year old and a new baby (in a few months). I'm aware of the LATCH restrictions, but am curious how people have arranged carseats, in terms of how to get both kids into the car and buckled. We have the option of putting toddler in the jump seats, but would prefer to have the two kids closer and within arms reach.

Thanks!

We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. The one year old sits behind the driver, and the 4 year old sits behind the passenger. Works fine. If we need to haul another adult or two we'll put the booster seat in the frunk and the 4-year old can sit the way back.

Also if you're not aware, there is an 'upper' latch location located on the back of the seats. There is a slit in the carpet that lets you get access to it.

We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. The one year old sits behind the driver, and the 4 year old sits behind the passenger. Works fine. If we need to haul another adult or two we'll put the booster seat in the frunk and the 4-year old can sit the way back.

Also if you're not aware, there is an 'upper' latch location located on the back of the seats. There is a slit in the carpet that lets you get access to it.

This is exactly what we do. The natural tendency is put the newborn in the middle of the car, but you need to realize the safety of the Model S AND the infant car seat put together makes it fine to go on the side. I'd put an infant behind the driver so the passenger can tend to it (and it doesn't kick the driver's seat back!)

I'll offer another perspective.

I put the infant car seat behind the passenger front seat and the child booster behind the driver's seat. I'm 6 feet and when I had the seat in a comfortable position with the infant seat (backward facing) behind the driver's seat and aligned properly, it wouldn't fit, as it hit the back of the driver's seat. So, I had to move the seat forward, which was not ideal. My older daughter in the booster seat didn't like the seat so close to her, but she had plenty of room. Now that my son is forward facing, he's behind the driver and my daughter behind the passenger seat for more room.

To reinforce the other, I wouldn't put the infant seat in the middle either.

To reinforce the other, I wouldn't put the infant seat in the middle either.
Thanks for your input! Why not the infant in the middle (if it fits)? I tested ours and I can fit both side by side (Graco snugride for infant and diono radian for 3 year-old). I was thinking this would allow another adult to sit without moving a carseat. Is it the easier access when the infant is on a side?

There's good reason to put it in the middle if it's the only one. I believe that's what's recommended anyway since it minimizes risk from side impact. I think you'll find that the back seats aren't roomy when it comes to multiple car seats, so if you have two, they don't quite line up well if one is in the middle. At least that is the case with mine. I see you made yours fit. With the two car seats (behind the driver/passenger seats), there is a little bit of room in the middle for a small passenger. Given the way the seat belt latches are set up, it becomes a real pain to buckle everyone in without extenders. I don't like the idea of using extenders.

Plus, as the kids get older, the farther away they are from the other the better!

We do what Jaguar and Chris do. Infant behind the driver and 3-year old behind the passenger. It's a VERY long reach to set an infant seat into the center - hard on your back. Also, if my wife and I are both in the car and the baby is fussy it allows her to sit in the back in between the kids to entertain them (She crawls in from the front to get to that seat and we use a short extender on the buckle).